Extra support for chimney

antogib

Oct 16, 2009
We are buying a house and the survey has picked up that when they took out the chimney breast downstairs they didn't put in enough support upstairs.
Can anyone let me know if this is likely to be a big job and how much ish?
Would appreciate any advice

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The cheapest way to get an answer to your question is to ask a number of reputable local builders to give you a quote for the work.

Tony

homara

Sep 4, 2009
I've experienced a similar problem in the past. I suggest you might you might find it helpful to contact a Chartered Quantity Surveyor and instruct them to inspect specifically the issue in question. They charge on average £80 per hour. When you make contact they are able to give you a pretty good estimate as to how long it will take them to carry out your instructions. I had a very similar problem with a chimney defect. The surveyor estimated a 2hr involvement to deal with my query. He ended up taking 2hrs 15 mins. It was money well spent as his opinion was accepted without argument and I negotiated £700 off the purchase price. Cost of remedial work plus surveyors report came very close to this amount. They are usually able to carry out their inspection fairly quickly (in a matter of day's). They will provide a detailed analysis of the problem and any remedial work neccessary They will also provide you with an estimate of cost for this remedial work. In addition to this, Quantity surveyors can even arrange for the work to be carried out or can simply provide you with a list of reputable workmen they've come accross during the scope of their work. I personally found my Quantity Surveyor to be a great source of expertise. He took a large amount of weight off my shoulders. Hope this helps in some way.