Problem with car after 3 months

grattenbury

Nov 9, 2009
I have purchased a Ford Ka 2004 model and had it 3 months. It started overheating so I took it to local garage who say apart from thermostat there is play in the steering rack Handles poorley, U/S AND N/S WISH BONE BUSHES U/S. I have only had this car since August and paid £2.500 and now it is going to cost me £300 to get it fixed what are my rights and should this have been checked before I took charge of ther car.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I guess it depends where you got it from, a dealer? a private seller? As well as how much you've driven it, where you've driven it and how it is looked after.

If its from a garage, there is no harm in ringing them and seeing if they carried out extensive checks before hand and see if they can provide paperwork. See if they'll repair the car for you, it might be covered by a warrenty from the garage.

You might get lucky, I didn't with my car, it was one week away from its 1st anniversary, I didn't know this when I bought it - 7 days later the service light came on, I phone the garage where I bought the car and they said it was my responsibility to service it - £400 it cost me just a week after getting the car - I'll be more aware next time i buy a second hand car.

grattenbury

Nov 9, 2009
My local garage where I had it checked said it was dangerous to drive because of the steering. What I need to know is should they have sold this to me just 3 months ago with this problem. I can understand that the thermostat can go at anytime but not the steering.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Did you buy it from a private seller? If so, unless it was misdescribed or it was not theirs to sell you have no come back. As Mlewis said if you bought it from a trader then you need to ask them to put it right.

Tony

grattenbury

Nov 9, 2009
Did you buy it from a private seller? If so, unless it was misdescribed or it was not theirs to sell you have no come back. As Mlewis said if you bought it from a trader then you need to ask them to put it right.

Tony
Hi Tony it was bought from a local garage
Gilly