Why the lottery is bad for your health

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
The two British lottery winners who are preparing to collect £45m each from Friday's EuroMillions draw should allow themselves a quiet moment for a sob of despair. In its effects on their lives, their sudden fortune will be more like the sudden death of a close relative – or perhaps bankruptcy or divorce – than anything else: it will destabilise them, snatching from beneath them the supports on which they have, until now, relied. It will threaten their psychological and emotional balance, their relationship to the community they live in, and their self-esteem. Champagne, anyone?

Full article: Why the lottery is bad for your health (external link)

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
I asked a local shop worker why the Euro Millions lottery had changed? It now costs £2 to play, she didn't know it had changed, and didn't know that two UK tickets had just won £91million.

Its nice to know staff in my local shop have an interest in their job.

Apparently the change is because there is now a UK lottery costing 50p that all UK sold Euro Millions tickets are entered into, with a guaranteed winner of £1million every week. I might have to start doing the Euro Millions Lottery now.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
And if you win, to save you the previously mentioned damage to your health you can give it to me. I am fairly robust and have no fear of any long term damage ...

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
haha, if I won £45 million, ... remember there are footballers that cost more than that ... its not enough to give up work for the rest of my life.

I certainly wouldn't retire ... I'd bump up my pension, and buy properties to rent out, I'd set up a range of businesses, keeping my family working (running their own businesses), i'd pay off all family debts and mortgages, and I'd set up a grant making trust fund for people wanting to go to university or start a business.

I'd invest some and I'd work very hard until I was 68 or 70 or whatever the retirement age is when I reach it.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Ok, nice answer. I would probably give half away and invest the other half on a trust for my childrens education, some properties that I would love to have fun doing up and er, crikey, I would have to come on here and ask everyone for advice re wise investments!

JamesYP

May 18, 2022