Should customs have seized these counterfeits?

AngelEyes

Nov 13, 2009
Hi!

I did another post yesterday asking advice about where I stand with regards to getting a "chargeback" as I ordered some boots from a site that mirrored the original and genuine UGG boot site - I then found out after almost 3wks of waiting they were shipped from China and would therefore be counterfeit.

My question now is - customs told me on the telephone that they'd be seized (which I was glad of as it backed up my case with the bank, and I told the bank this) I go online today, and customs have allowed them through without tax or seizure!!!! How can this happen?

Also, now I don't know where I stand, and the site only allows a return within 10days of them shipping them out (it's already been 3wks and they're not expected to arrive till Monday) So I have absolutely no hope of ever getting my money back from them.

Also, I can now hear my bank saying that I have no chance from them either as the goods have arrived!

Can I put a complaint into customs? Will trading standards help me with this? It's no wonder our country is flooded with counterfeit goods if customs are allowing them through - from what I've been told there are thousands upon thousands of counterfeit UGG's being seized, so why would they allow a pair through?!?!

I understand that maybe a customs officer has taken a bit of pity on the person they think has been waiting for these UGGS (my husband used to work with customs and he said at times they can be lenient if they they're certain it's not a huge counterfeit money laundering scam going on) But that really hasn't helped me at all, they're fake at the end of the day, and I ordered and paid for genuine ones. Also, because this has left us out of pocket at a time that's hard financially anyway, I've had to let my daughter know that we tried to get her UGGS for Christmas but have been scammed, so her Christmas present has now been totally spoiled :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Why has customs released them? This would suggest that they are not fakes at all, but boots that look like Ugg boots but without the branding etc. Customs are seizing 20,000 pairs of UGG boots per month.

BBC - Radio 4 You and Yours -Fake UGG boots

If the boots are not as described, you are still covered by the Visa Chargeback Scheme. It changes the nature of the claim somewhat.

I would not send the boots back, you will not see your money and will have lost the boots and the expense of shiipping.

Tony