Hey newbie here,just aquick question on my rights with defective products

vinyl-shy

Nov 19, 2009
I have recently purchased a cd deck for £400 on the 29th sept 09 so its under 2 months since bought,the product is faulty and the shop are refusing my refund saying they are within there rights as its under warrentee to fix the problem,I have refused this as i have lost faith in the product and only want my cash back even if not the full amount due to me using it for nearly 2 months,what are my rights legally?

kbdavies

Dec 31, 2009
Im sorry, but the store is correct. Based on the legislation, you must give the seller reasonable time to repair or replace before demanding your money back. Also be aware that any refund given may well take account of any use you have had of the goods since you took possession of them. There a a few points for you to note here -

- The seller must offer to at least repair the goods
- They must do this within reasonable time, at no additional cost to you and without causing any significant inconvenience.
- If any inconvenience is caused you should be given a replacement item on a ‘like for like’ basis (and not simply the cheapest and most basic model).
- You must allow reasonable time for repair
- However, if the damage is minor and can be repaired easily, then the shop can insist on this as a first option,
- You can take it back if repair is unsatisfactory or there is something else wrong with it.
- If a repair is impossible or unfeasible, you must then be offered a replacement. At this stage, you can demand your money back.

Hope this helps.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Generally you can only demand you money back if the item is faulty when you first get the item - this is referred to as "rejecting" something. Two month is too long.

It is also worth noting that like-for-like does not need to be new - it can be a refurbished model. And if they do give a refund they can deduct an amount for the usage you have had - some retailers refer to this as the residual value of the item.

HTH

Tony