Virgin Trains First Class

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have noticed that on many Virgin Trains that the first first class coach is often declassified, so you can get extra space for free.

If the service is busy and you think people will be standing just go and sit in an unreserved seat in First Class. It is very likely you will get to stay there for free.

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
My sister lives in Stoke-on-Trent and the overcrowding on many services is ridiculous; Virgin Trains should have a long hard think about laying on extra services etc. When my wife travelled to Stoke with my youngest son, she had to stand! (What does that say about the Great British public?) One of the on-train staff offered her a seat in First Class, which she gratefully accepted, only to have another staff member try to penalty-fare her for sitting in the the restricted section. After battling up to the other end of the train to find the original member of staff, she was told to move.

How gracious.

So yes, if they declassify the first class section, make sure you ask nonetheless!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is interesting, isn't it. The other day I was sitting on Northern Rail train, again in First Class, again I have never had to pay a penalty fare. Anyway, there were two middle aged women who had been out to a birthday party doing to same as me and they were made to pay a penalty fare. Perhaps I look too scary... :rolleyes: They do seem to pick on the easy targets.

So perhaps if you wear a suit and look like a man you will be ok. :eek:

Tony

jennyhicks

Oct 10, 2008
Yes, the train managers are starting to let people sit in first class when trains are at bursting point. How unfair though for the people paying top whack for the first class tickets? I have had this happen to me and I couldn't concentrate on my work because they had let a load of noisy scummy people in. They had probably paid £17 or something for their ticket when I had paid £100 from London to Oxenholme return.