DFS Sofa Problem - Anyone can advise?

Ade

Nov 23, 2009
Hi Guys, Hope someone can offer some advice.
Wife and I went to DFS on Saturday and ordered a leather 'round the corner sofa' for £1400 approx. Agreed to pay cash. Deposit paid (£397...) with the balance of £1000 due on delivery. The sofa is 2-tone and we chose colours from swatch presented to us by salesman. We delined the 5 year 'stain cover' but purchased delivery and a £25 cleaning kit on top.
The salesman made a BIG deal about us being sure about the colour - once ordered cannot be changed. Legally binding contract etc. etc. - Fine!

However, today the salesman has called and stated he gave us the wrong swatch and the colours are not available. Please return to shop & re-choose. I told him that would be inconvenient (my wife is due to give birth any day now) so, please cancel the order.

Told that the order was impossible to cancel and either we return to re-choose, they will send someone around with a new swatch or he would choose 'similar' colours from the correct swatch.

We have of course lost confidence in the product/service and do not wish to continue. Surely there is a cooling off period? Does anyone know the leagal rights here?

Cheers All.....

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

There is no automatic cooling off in these circumstances.

The good news is that they are in breach of contract not you as I assume you have paperwork stating that you have bought sofa style x in colour y. However, it may be worth checking the terms as they may have 'unfair' clauses that allow substitutions.