N97 on Vodafone Not 'Usable'

Lord Bahamut

Nov 26, 2009
Hi,

For a couple of years I owned an N95 on contract with Vodafone and was happy with it and the service. I waited for the N97 and upgraded to it in June of this year which meant starting another 18 month contract. I expected it to take a litlle time to settle down considering how new it was but five months on I have a phone that it a) very slow; and b) very buggy.

Dealing with the speed issue first, the problem is the phone memory is too small and the moment it drops below 30MB there is a drastic drop in performance. The further problem it only has about 32MB free phone memory as a best case so the moment you start to install stuff and it needs space to run (not storage) things go 'pear shaped'. This leads me to believe that the phone is faulty by design i.e. relacing it will not help.

On the bug front (v11 firmware) it is pretty damn awful. As an example, today my phone has been booted four times to achieve light usage. The second boot was on the train as it wouldn't connect to my mailbox - the screen flashed and the connecting message didn't appear as it wasn't as simple as a signal issue. The next boot was on the same train journey as the web browser wouldn't connect to vodafone.com as it was a restricted site (http error 403). Anyway, you get the idea of the daily usability problems.

I have raised this with Vodafone but they are unable to help (you can't fix a design fault) and are not currently passing on the two firmware updates for this phone from Nokia. They have also reminded me that I am within my committment period re the contract. OK, got that, but that contract should work two ways and five months of pain and £300 pounds of my hard earned money and I have not had an end to end usable experience or service. Surely Vodafone need to provide the end to end service or they would be in breach of contract.

So bluntly I just want rid of this phone as it just doesn't work - unless you don't use it. I would write to the head of customer services in Vodafone about this but the call centres couldn't give me a name. What can I do about this and how can I get to talk to the right person in Vodafone as no-one beyond the call centre staff will talk about this and to be fair to them, their 'script' will keep them to the "you're in your committment period" or "you can't change your handset at no cost".

Grateful for advice on this issue,

Thanks,

LB

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi LB,

I was in a very similar position with a Nokia N95 on Orange when it first came out. I just couldn't get the GPS to work and all they would say is make sure you stand with your arm extended at 45 degrees. I eventually got the retailer to repair it - Carphone Warehouse and when that didn't work Orange replaced the handset. This was very easy and solved the problem.

Are you sure that it is not your phone? What are people saying on the forums?

It sounds like you haven't mentioned your statutory rights. As the phone is less than six month old they have to prove that it is not faulty. If you left it after six months the burden of proof would lie with you and you would have to get a report stating the faults.

There is a guy from Voda on here that you could PM.

Tony

Lord Bahamut

Nov 26, 2009
Tony,

Thanks for the reply. As a bizarre coincidence v12 firmware finally became available today so that puts the handset one firmware version behind Nokia - that's a shame as the next release is a biggy. Will play with the handset to see if things have improved or not. If not I will get it replaced and continue to do so if another problem occurs. This might get a bit interesting considering that they might not be able to fix the problems because of the underlying reason.

As to the Vodafone guy - I can't PM as I need 5 posts under my belt before that is allowed so I'm hoping that he picks this up although I have now seen the email address,

Thanks,

LB

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It's a long time ago now, but I was in the same situation about being behind with firmware. It was more than one though with Orange. Anyway, I was able to find an application that would reset the phone to make the Nokia website recognise it as a generic handset rather than an Orange one and could get the latest firmware. This would affect your rights though, but it should be easy enough to reverse.

Tony

BTW - I still use this phone as a wireless access point with this software - JoikuShop - JoikuSpot Premium - Full Licence - Premium Software For Your Mobile. I have an iPhone and the coverage is rubbish with 02, so use my N95 with an Orange broadband SIM to improve connectivity.