HP Laptop. Oh Dear!!

Sunrickan

Dec 2, 2009
I received an HP Laptop through a deal with my mobile phone provider on 20 August this year. After 3 weeks of use, the laptop would not boot up - no error messages, just a blank screen. I called my mobile phone provider who informed me I had to contact HP direct which I did. HP spoke me through various repair options - remove battery, disconnect power source and hold down power button. Nothing happened! Open and remove DVD hardware and then put it back. Nothing happened! Open hard drive compartment and remove hard drive - now replace it - nothing happened. Their recommendation was to do a full system restore as the hard drive was not working. Oops! No discs were received with the machine! They then told me they would send me the necessary discs and would send me a new hard drive. New drive arrived with discs and prior to changing drives, booted computer again - it worked!! It has once again not booting up - same problems. Called HP instructed me to remove the hard drive and a courier would collect the laptop for repair. In the meantime I was to get a professional company to back up the data from the hard drive. When I did this, the company informed me after checking the disc that there is nothing wrong with the disc but the motherboard is completely "shot". The upshot of this saga is I contacted my mobile service provider and although they are sympathetic to the problem, they suspect that because I opened the various parts on the laptop, I have broken the "seals" and the warranty is therefore null and void.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Removing and replacing a hard drive is not breaking the seals laptops are designed, often, to allow disks to be replaced by the owner.

You need to get this sorted before the warranty runs out as the Sale of Goods Act may not cover you if it was a free gift.

Tony

ARK

Jan 9, 2010
Some Hp laptops are equipped with faulty Nvidia graphic card which cos those problems. My advice is to check hp forum display problems and w.hplies.com