Blown Gasket and a £4700 Bill!!

Jimmy G

Dec 7, 2009
I purchased a second hand Mitsubishi L200 from a private seller with 31000 miles on the clock, a full dealer service history, which was just out of warranty on 29 Sept this year.

Within 4 days of having the vehicle it overheated. Took it to my local mitsubishi dealer who said that as it is just out of warranty Mitsubishi may assist with the cost of the repair under 'good will'. Fair enough I thought.

After stripping down the engine they found that the gasket had blown in 2 places and there was 'discolouration' on the Block. According to mitsubishi's recommendations this means a replacement block! The bill was going to cost £4700........needless to say I wasn't impressed!

Mitsubishi was going to reduce that bill to £3100 under good will and I would automatically benefit from a 2 yr warranty on the work and parts.

This is where i am looking for some advice and what my rights are. I dug a little deeper and it turns out that the vehicle overheated previously during the warranty period and the cylinder head was replaced. This happened 18 months ago in Apr 08. At that time there was no recommendation from mitsubishi to replace the block. This recommendation was only circulated to dealers in Sept 08.

Mitsubishi state that for any parts replaced under warranty the warranty on these parts will expire when the vehicle warranty expires. Is this legal?

I was told that if a wheel bearing is replaced 3wks before the vehicle warranty expires then that bearing only has a 3 wk warranty..... but If I pay to have the bearing replaced when the vehicle is out of warranty then it automatically has a 2 yr warranty. How can they do this?

My point as far as the overheating is concerned is that the damage may have already been done to the block in Apr 08 therefore it should be replaced under warranty as the original repair has not solved the problem. The first gasket blew at 15000 miles, and 15000 miles later the same problem arises again.

Do I have any rights here?

Regards

James