Argos wont` give me a refund on faulty camcorder.

briciola

Dec 13, 2009
Hi,
i bought a JVC GZ-MG630 camcorder from an Argos store a few days ago, but when i tried it out was very disappointed to find out it isn`t working as it should. The quality of the image is extremely bad and i tried changing the settings ( even though it was already set on "ultrafine" mode which is supposed to record in the best quality. I tried downloading it on to my brand new Pc (Windows Vista which is meant to be compatible with) and viewing it on my High Definition Tv (on the instructions it states the camcorder is especially designed to work with HD tvs) but the quality is still just as bad. What i mean by bad is: the colours are faded and blurry, the image is constantly grainy and dark and when you try to zoom in it goes very blurry for a few seconds. I don`t think any of this is normal as i previously owned 2 camcorders (old dv ones) and i never experienced anything like it. I don`t ask for much out of a camcorder since i am not an expert, bu the least would be to have a clear screen and final image when viewing on my pc and tv! The problem is now that after i purchased and tried it out and noticed all this , i realised on the receipt there`s written that this product is exempt from the 30 day money back guarantee. So i contacted Argos by e-mail and explained the problem and they replied that they are sorry but they will not refund me or give me an exchange! I am very angry at their response because apart from all the problems i`m having with the quality of the image, there are also another few. On the the information list of the camcorder on the Argos website, it stated that there were also 4 special effects: Sepia, black and white, classic film and strobe, but on the isntruction manual that came with it it doesn`t mention any of this at all. Also there is supposed to be a small remote control in the box with the other accessories, but it`s not in it. I am very frustrated with this whole situation and i think i should be refunded since the camcorder is not working like they advertised. It cost me €300 reduced from €429, for that kind of money i don`t expect professional results, but i do expect it to at least give me a decent image, not something equal to a recording took with my mobile phone. Can anyone advise me? I went on the watchdog website and from what i`ve read it sounds like i am entitled to a full refund. Thank you

JamMan666

Dec 14, 2009
Hi

I think this only applies to working items; I've taken broken stuff back before and its fine. I seem to think a lot of shops have a cut off date, especially John Lewis; but at the end of the day statutory rights will override any business policy...if it doesnt work, you can get a refund.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
JamMan is correct the 30 day thing is in addition to your statutory rights.

It sounds like your rights have been breached and the product is not as described and not of satisfactory quality. See the link below to Sale of Goods Act.

A letter to Customer Services should do the trick.

Tony

briciola

Dec 13, 2009
Thank you both for your replies, i will definately try my best to get refunded, there is no way they should be allowed to get away with it!

nomad

Jan 12, 2011
Argos usually is refusing refunds for laptops offering new ones or repairing because as they claim laptops are excluded form refunds. Argos is breaking Sales of Goods Act 1979. The best way to claim your rights is to go to Small Claims Court. It will cost you about £60.
Usually if laptop was bought faulty Argos have to give you refund if you reject faulty laptop and will not take new one. This issue is regulated by:
Sales of Goods Act 1979
The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 (which amends Sales of Goods Act 1979)
derived from
EU directive 1999/44/EC

Do not allow them play with you. Just go to court and claim your rights.
Do not forget take expertise form independent engineer. It will cost you from £20 to £50 but cost will be covered by Argos if they lose the case.

Please note, you have to inform Argos about fault in your laptop within reasonable time (7 days?).

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there -
I'm a former employee of Argos ...

Best , easiest and quickest thing for you to do is take it back to the store you got it from - go right to the collection point and ask for the manager.
(don't bother with till staff)
Explain the situation - they will try blag you off with sending it away for repair . Tell them you want a refund not a repair .
They can refund you , you don't have to have a repair (till staff are forced to send for repair rather than refund) - hence why you should speak to manager / CS manager .

Just obviously take receipt / bank statement with the payment.

Agent75

Nov 5, 2014
A bit of advice when purchasing TVs and laptops etc. from Argos and Curry's. They buy in a lot of repaired items, which they get on the cheap. So many times customers have returned items which are faulty and even found that they've been used by someone else. Registering the item with the likes of HP, LG, Samsung and Sony, you're sometimes told that the item has already been registered. This has been going on for years. It's happened to me with a TV (Argos), washer (Very) laptop (Argos) and a PS3 (Very). Be warned!