Currys and the Sale of Goods Act

thewaltman

Dec 17, 2009
I bought a laptop from Currys 20 months ago, and is worked fine until the charger decided to pack in. I did not buy any extended warranty, so walked back into Currys expecting a bit of a battle.

However, I'd read up on the Sale of Goods Act, and expected them to explain to me what process I had to follow to justify a replacement charger - in my opinion, I'd need to get an independent report showing that the product was manufactured with a defect that reduced its life expectancy.

However, it was talking to 2 sales staff, a call centre tech support guys and the deputy manager, not a single one of them offered me this route.

They all insisted that I needed to take up the issue with the manufacturer, Toshiba, and that Currys were not responsible. I demanded to talk to customer service, so was put through on the phone.

Again, I had to explain why Currys were liable and eventually they offered me the option of submitting a report. Even then I had to press on the next steps and process.

It's a long sorry tale which I'll written in far greater detail at:

(Sorry can't post a link yet.)

I'm very unimpressed with their approach, and would urge anybody else in a similar position to press them - without making a nuisance of yourself, nothing will be offered.

Don't let them get away with it! Fight for your rights...

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
surely it would have been easier to go direct to toshiba who would hve put a new charger in the post ... however would have probably charge you for it ... on that note, I think my toshiba laptop will need a new charger soon ... might start looking online for one now.

thewaltman

Dec 17, 2009
I still feel Currys should honour their legal obligation. Or at least recognise it at some level without me needing to fight.

And I'm not convinced Toshiba would have helped me, as the charger was out of the warranty period. Or do you think they would?