What are my rights? iPod burned out - out of warrantee

qwert123

Dec 22, 2009
Hi all,

Could do with some advice as Ive been pointed in the direction of this website due to the following issue;

My iPod classic 120GB recently stopped working all of a sudden. The back went really hot when I was charging it. Then it went cold. I thought it might have been the battery. But now suspect it is the logic/motherboard.

I took it into Apple. Who then booked my in for a Genius bar appointment the following week.

As the iPod was two months out of warrantee, I was given three options:

1) Google UK ipod repairs - and get a third party ipod repair shop to fix it. But was warned I would get no warrantee and it might break again.

2) Get a genius bar replacement - costs £89 but only has a warrantee of 90 days

3) ipod recycle. I could give my ipod into them to be recycled, and get 10% off a new ipod (excludes ipod shuffle).

Ive just posted on another board on where would be the best place to get a new one (best deal) and had a few replies stating that as its only two months out of warrantee I could have a case for a replacement under the sales of goods act and my statutory rights.

What are my rights on getting a replacement for free? Another lady posted up that her daughters ipod was 6 months out of warrantee and they replaced it for free!

Should I buy a new one? Or will I have good grounding for a case as I have used the ipod as it was intended and it appears to be a fault with either the battery or the motherboard.

Thanks