Am I entitled to a refund?

Scrat

Dec 29, 2009
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I hope no one minds my posting a question here.

My husband bought a camera on Oct 30th for my Christmas present. Obviously he didn't open it to try it out because he wanted to leave it in its wrapper. But when I came to test the camera out, it was faulty and completely useless, just frozen up so that none of the buttons worked.

The online shop I bought it from are offering me a replacement camera, but I don't want that as I suspect I'll just have the same problems all over again. The instructions didn't match the model (were generic ones, I guess) and had been badly translated so they didn't make sense. And we're talking about something that cost nearly £200!

The shop say the eight week period is too long for me to ask for a refund, but I think it's quite reasonable that my husband didn't unwrap the camera and test it, given it was a present.

Do you think I have any legal rights to hold out for a refund? I'd be so grateful for your advice.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The fact that eight weeks has elapsed does not help you case, although there are mitigating circumstances. You could try to 'reject' it by writing a formal letter stating that it is not of satisfactory quality and mention the Sale of Goods Act 1979, but I think you will be lucky. Worth a shot.

Scrat

Dec 29, 2009
Thanks very much. If they don't refund me, I'll post the details of the firm and of the model of camera here, so that others know to avoid this company. But I'll let you know what happens.