Mobile Phone miss selling

U

Unregistered

Hi all

My son went to Phones4U to get a laptop deal.
He came out of the shop with both laptop and new contract phone. He was told it was on the same deal one one contract but it actually turned out to be 2 seperate contracts because the lop top was with vodafone with dongle and the phone was with 3.
He's very happy with the laptop deal.

The problem he has is that on sitting down at home and looking at the phone and the phone contract it is not what he asked for in the shop.
He asked for more minutes than texts contract and has been sold 6x more txts than mins. He was told the handset was one of the latest models on the market - with internet access etc. It is in fact a £39.99 handset and not very good.
He signed an 18 month contract at £25 a month.
When the salesman filled out the contract details he changed things like length at addresses and that son had a credit card when he doesn't.
After getting home that night he phoned 3 to change the handset. 3 said no problem but he would have to do it through Phone4U.

Today he went into the shop he bought it from and spoke to the same salesman who is the shop manager. He showed him a leaflet that was available in the shop which states they do not allow customers to cancel contracts once signed and there is no cooling off period (this was not told to him when he signed). He flatly refused to do anything and told my son it's tough your problem not ours.

Any advice? What are his rights regading this? Is there anything he can do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Phones4U have very agressive sales staff, this is from my personal experience. It also sounds like they have broken the law my misdescribing the product. However, this is difficult to prove as it is not written down.

The contract details may well have been wrong, but your son will have signed them to say that they are correct.

If your son had made the purchase online he would be covered by the Distance Selling Regualtions and have 7 days cooling off, but as he bought it from a shop he doesn't.

There is not much you can do, but hopefully it will be a lesson to your son to read everything before he signs a legal agreement. It is worth letting your local Trading Standards know about the product misdescription, and they may consider some mystery shopping to catch Phones4U in the act.

Sorry I can't be more help

Tony

MartinBird

Sep 9, 2010
Hi all, todate this problem has not been solved.
I recieved a cold call from 101Mobile in Glasgow on the 5th August 2010 on my old Orange pay as you go mobile with the hope they could get me a better mobile contract-fine at this point-very friendly sales person.
I explained to them that I was already in a contract with 3 mobile and had a good length of time left to run.
The sales person then said they would contact 3 to find out the termination fee and if it was viable to them they would pay it and get me a decent contract with Orange.
Great-he contacted me again approx 10 mins later with the good news they (101Mobile) had agreed to (with 3 mobile) pay my termination fee but because it was quite high they could not match my 3 package compared to the Orange similar one, but still a decent offer was to be had.
So I took the offer up, next day!!! my new Orange phone arrived.
3 weeks later I got my usual 3 mobile bill???? to me, so I contacted 3 myself only to find out why only to be told that 101mobile based in Glasgow, had NEVER spoken to them at all!!.
After 2 days of trying their contact number-no reply and put on hold all the time, I thought ok-maybe if I send an e-mail to them pretending to be a new customer-BINGO!!! an instant reply from them!! now down to the dirty work of getting them to own up to miss-selling lies!!
The book passed to 4 different people within 101mobile-their names-David(false promise to return calls-and always out of the office)-Mick (manager-always busy)-Marie (false promise to return calls)-and the so called chief ex. Bobby Barnes?? (but refused the chance to speak to the chief ex.!!).
Marie did own up to, after hearing the original 5th August cold call and their offer-but fallen very short of still paying the termination fee with 3 and offered to pay half and I keep the 3 contract as well as my new Orange one!!
Please banana boat don't sail away!!
So far to date-Orange have been very very helpful so have 3 (which one forum states 3 suspended 101mobile for miss selling) and a long list of other similar complaints about 101mobile.
Please avoid this company they should be investigated!!