Best type of path

Fyldeboy

Jan 12, 2010
I need to dig up an existing path around the house and re-lay because the old path breaches the damp course and half covers the air bricks.

I am skint!

I have been given a quote to dig up the existing and re-lay with 4" of basic gravel/chipings.

The price is good but I'm worried about the longevity, and safety for kids.

Could anyone give an idea of the proportionate cost of, say, tarmac / concrete / slabs? E.g. will slabs be 50% dearer than gravel including labour & materials? And in relation to the cost - what is the longevity like?

Thanks All

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Gravel's obviously not kid friendly in terms of scootering or pushing a pram and if you have lots of cats in your neighborhood, be warned, they may see it as a large outdoor toilet!

Fyldeboy

Jan 12, 2010
I agree Rachelle

It's actually a rental property so wouldn't normally be too bothered, but the tenants do have 3 small children so I appreciate gravel isn't going to be ideal.

I live some way away, so can't get many quotes for different surfaces so thought I'd try here for some pointers for a different surface that would meet my requirements - cheap & long lasting - but also be suitable, even nice, for the tenants.