Mobile phone company went in to liquidation

bethy_boos

Sep 16, 2008
Hello,
The mobile phone contract that I was with last year came up for renewal in February of this year which I took. In May the company went into liquidation and all contracts were passed over to another bigger company (they were already the network providers, but not who I signed the contract with). The contract I had with the first company I got 750 units, which could be used for either texts or minutes, for £25 a month. Now that I have been moved over to the bigger company I am only getting 500 minutes and 100 texts for the same price, which means I am suddenly going over on my bills. I have rung the company but all they could offer was 150 minutes and 500 texts for the same price. Surely there must be a breach of the terms and conditions if I am not getting what I signed up for. What do you think?

Beth

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Who was it Beth? Don't be afraid to name and shame them? Even if there is a clause in the contract to allow them to do this it would be considered unfair by any reasonable person. You should take this matter up with OFCOM. Here is the link:

Phone bill, tariff and contract issues | Ofcom

Let us know how you get on?

Tony

bethy_boos

Sep 16, 2008
I signed the contract with Dot mobile (a student mobile operator) I have now been changed to vodafone! Thanks for the link, I'll look in to it. Any more info/advice gratefully received.

Thanks again
Beth

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Have you asked them how they can justify changing your contract in this manner?

Tony

bethy_boos

Sep 16, 2008
Yes I asked and they said that they have matched it as close as possible, I did keep saying that it wasn't the contract I signed up for but she just kept repeating the same things. The manager is supposed to be ringing me at some point in the next 24 hours. Rung Ofcom they said that the terms and conditions of the old contract are nul and void, so basically can't really do much about it. They did say that if I still wasn't happy after the manager rung I could write a formal letter to vodafone. Its all very confusing!

Beth

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If you have no contract then you have no obligation to stay with them. I would be tempted to look elsewhere - Asda have some pretty good deals at the moment and I believe you would be able to put the sim straight into your phone as they like dot mobile use the Vodaphone network - you might need to confirm this.

Have a look here: Asda-phones.co.uk

Tony

BTW Thanks for the update

bethy_boos

Sep 16, 2008
Well the manager didn't ring me back within the 48hours that I was told. Rung vodafone back to remind them. The operator was really nice and said he would look at price plans-came back with one for 600 mins and unlimited texts for £20!!! Why couldn't the first operator have done this? anyway I'm happy!

Thanks for all your help

Beth

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Great news, I bet you mentioned that you were thinking of going elsewhere.

Tony