O2 Contract

AdamBG10

Jan 18, 2010
Hi Guys,

I entered into an O2 contract worth £35 a month in Feb 2008, and it finished on August 2009(18 months).

Being very unorganised I didn't read the contract, and I assumed I was in a two year contract as I was still getting charged up until now.

So I rang O2 once I found out it was a 18 month contract and asked them to cancel the contract immediately, because at no point did they contact me to renew the contract or to even let me know about the end of the contract.

I was under the impression that they at least needed some sort of verbal or written confirmation to assume that I would stay with them for another 18 month term.

As it turns out, they believe that I am now liable to pay for another 18 months from August 2009 as I didn't tell them I intended to move phone suppliers.

In the end I left my name and number for a manager, and I'll be calling back tomorrow as well.

What if anything, can I do? and isn't this sort of behaviour highly unethical and immoral in times like this.

Any advice or help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have never heard of this before. I think I have been with every network and usually switch after the contract expires with no problems. Have you read the terms of the contract? Have you got them?

The insurance companies do this and you get notifications and a cooling off period after the new contract starts. I know this just happened to me and they are required to inform you in writing before it elapses and with regard to the cooling off period.

Henry

Mar 4, 2010
Mobile phone contracts generally become rolling monthly contracts once the initial contracted period has ended. So after 18 months if you did nothing you would be able to cancel or upgrade your phone at any time.

This is how upgrades work - at the end of your contracted period you can leave, so you upgrade your phone, get a new handset, and the provider gets to tie you down to another contracted period.

Unless you have upgraded your handset or changed tariff with them, I can't see why O2 would extend your contract to a new full 18 month term.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
They never let you know when the contract is over either you really have to keep on top f it. It is more profitable for them if you just go on to a rolling monthly contract.