samsung lcd tv fault

marmaduke

Jan 27, 2010
hi all my samsung lcd tv has developed a serious fault it is only just 2years old and with a bit of research i think this is a common problem with samsung tvs . have opened dialogue with comet but have said it is just wear and tear after two years and they will not do a free repair.i think that two years for a £500PLUS TV is terrible.before i reply to them any advice on next step before a go shouting about the sales of goods act.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Yes it sounds like they are trying to fob you off. They should offer a repair, a replacement (not necessarily new) or a refund taking into account usage. Also you may need to prove it has an inherent fault with an engineer's report.

This might help - Consumer Rights Faulty LCD TVs

marmaduke

Jan 27, 2010
Yes i expected it to be a bit of a battle.iam going to get a comet engineer in to get a report on fault.and take it from there.i can appreciate wear and tear on an item such as a washig machine etc but how much wear and tear can i tv have in 2 years!!!!!!

marmaduke

Jan 27, 2010
hi thought i would update everyone .i had a comet engineer come to look at tv and he diagnosed the mura affect and that a would need a new lcd screen which would cost over £250 plus labour.i found that this fault occurs during imperfections in the sealing process of the tv screen.i deemed this a manufacturers fault and consequently sent an email of quoting this and told them that i felt that under the sales of goods act 1979 and ec directive 1994/44/ec that it was their responsibility to repair my tv free of charge.unsurprisingly they disagree and say that because it had no fault until 23 months that it was fit for purpose and durable when sold.my problem is what do i do now. i feel that i had quite a good case and a tv should last longer especially seeing i paid £549.help!!!!!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You need your own engineers report stating that it has an inherent manufacturing fault and it hasn't been misused.

You can't force them to make a repair if it is uneconmical for them. They can offer a like-for-like replacement i.e. not new or a partial refund taking into account the usage you have had.

Also the Sale of Goods Act is better than the EC directive not worth mentioning.

Find out about the EU directive 2 year warranty | Consumer Information