Changing networks

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
A while ago, I posted a thread about the iPhone, asking if anyone had been tempted by its shiny charms. Well, I have now inherited a first generation one from my geeky boyfriend, so after about ten years with Orange, I'm about to move to O2. This meant that I had to call to request my PAC code from Orange, as I want to keep my number.

I had heard many horror stories about the difficulties of getting your PAC code, ranging from customer service staff pretending their computers are down or that they have the wrong contact details for you to simply ignoring your request. So I was prepared for a battle: I checked my password and security code, read Ofcom's guide to switching your number, prepared a list of my addresses over the last few years in case they had the wrong details - and made the call.

In the end, getting the PAC code was the least difficult thing about making the call. The most difficult was finding the Orange customer service number in the first place, and then negotiating the various phone menus, none of which referred to PAC codes or acknowledged the possibility that you might want to leave Orange.

When I eventually got to speak to a human, she was courteous and quickly transferred me to the retentions department. At this point I steeled myself for all sorts of temptations to be dangled in front of me to persuade me to stay, or nefarious tales to be told about why they couldn't give me my code. But she simply checked why I was leaving and told me my code would be in the post within 3 working days. In fact I felt a bit unloved. "I've been with you ten years!" I wanted to say. "Don't you want to beg me to stay?"

Maybe it's because I said I was moving to get an iPhone, and they know they can't compete with it. Or maybe my PAC code won't turn up at all and I'll be cursing them. Anyway, is this typical or does everyone else have trouble when they want to change networks?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
That's quite interesting actually, and I hope getting your PAC code is as easy as you said. A few years back I was with Orange and I'd heard all kinds of nightmarish tales of how difficult it was to get your code, so I didn't bother with it. I cancelled my contract when it expired and just got a new number. I'm afraid that I am going to do the same in a week or so when I switch to pay as you go. Partly because I didn't want the hassle of getting the code, but also because I think it's quite funny that everyone will have to update their phone with my new number.

I have to agree with your comment about feeling unloved! When I called O2, I received a pretty similar response when I told them I didn't want a mobile contract, but was looking for a decent laptop deal. The emphasis being on the decent laptop, as opposed to the deal. I was surprised they didn't even offer to put me through to the retentions (AKA blatant blackmail) department. I wonder if this is a change in policy?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There is an interesting fact that I can share with you that will come of no surprise. They know exactly how profitable you are as a customer based on what you spend and how much you call the call centre, each call the the call centre costs £25 (that is what I was told for Vodaphone).

When you phone up from your mobile they know exactly who you are and if you are a low value customer you will go into IVR hell - i.e. you will never get to speak to anybody. If you are a low value customer and try to leave they will let you go... I guess this is what happened in your case.

Tony

PS I heard that the iPhone is meant to be available on Orange soon.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
On the basis of their shifting enough handsets. If they don't hit the targets Apple can bring in another supplier.

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Update: I got my PAC code today, so that's fairly quick. I've just filled in O2's "keep my number" form, which bizarrely changed into a generic customer enquiry form halfway through and didn't actually ask for my PAC code anywhere. They say they will aim to get back to me within 24 hours, so we'll see.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update GG, many people think that it is much harder to get a PAC than it is. I think I was with a temporary number for about a week last time I did it.

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Further update: I had an email from O2 saying that my number will be ported over on Thursday, and I might be without service for a few hours. So far it's going more smoothly than expected, though taking a bit longer than I might have hoped. More as I get it!

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
This just in - my phone number is not currently working. I was warned that this might happen for a few hours while the number is being ported, so hopefully this means that things are going as they should. It does seem odd that I lose service for a while though - I assume all that's actually involved is linking my phone number with a different network in a database, rather than any time-consuming manual labour.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
And a final update - round about 3pm yesterday my phone sprang into life with my old number. So that's about 7 days from requesting my PAC code to getting my number transferred - not bad, but not brilliant either.

Christopher

Dec 17, 2008
grumpychris.com
Odd, when I moved from O2 to T-Mobile (a good couple of years ago now) my PAC code was given to me over the phone. Although I barely used a fraction of my minutes I wasn't given so much as a 'goodbye' when I asked for my PAC, just an offer of £5 off a month and nothing more. (I paid £30 a month for 300 minutes and 300 texts but as my unused minutes rolled over, I always had a thousand minutes left!)

By contrast, although I heard horror stories about them, T-Mobile were - and have been since - really good to me as a customer, and I have virtually nil complaints about them even after more than 2 years as a contract customer. Maybe I'm just lucky? ;) But don't feel that you *have* to go to O2 just because you have an iPhone in your mitts. Visual voicemail ain't all that, and that's just about the only innovation the iPhone brings. Any other network will make the iPhone work quite happily. :)

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've dealt with leaving most major mobile contract providers:

T-Mobile were always good to me and did give me any hassle for leaving, although they did try to tempt me with lots of offers.

O2 - their bills were hardly ever correct and I was swore at when I left by the chap in retentions

Orange - I had been with them for four years and they disappointed me the most - they caused me all manner of grief by constantly offering new 'deals' (that weren't really that competitive) and it took me ages to get them to agree to send a PAC code.

Three - I'm still with them, they offer fantastic packages as long as you never need to contact their customer services! I am eligible for an upgrade on the 2nd March so will see what they offer.....

Christopher

Dec 17, 2008
grumpychris.com
I've dealt with leaving most major mobile contract providers:

T-Mobile were always good to me and did give me any hassle for leaving, although they did try to tempt me with lots of offers.

O2 - their bills were hardly ever correct and I was swore at when I left by the chap in retentions

Orange - I had been with them for four years and they disappointed me the most - they caused me all manner of grief by constantly offering new 'deals' (that weren't really that competitive) and it took me ages to get them to agree to send a PAC code.

Three - I'm still with them, they offer fantastic packages as long as you never need to contact their customer services! I am eligible for an upgrade on the 2nd March so will see what they offer.....

Frustratingly with Three, I suspect that you'll receive nothing more than a middling upgrade offer and a bog-standard handset upgrade, and you won't even be offered anything like a £25-£30pcm tariff deal unless you harangue them for half an hour or so. Even then, they won't match their own tariff deals as listed on the web site (they describe them as "for new customers only").

I went through these motions to see what would happen - given my past customer service from Three I intend to drop my contract with them at the end of its minimum term (in a couple of months' time), but I thought I'd see what they'd offer me anyway given that I'm apparently now eligible for an upgrade. Turns out that it's not much. My friend who works for Carphone Warehouse (and is also on Three) insists that they'll only offer me the REALLY competitive deals once I'm about to finish my minimum term in order to keep me as a customer.

They'll have to fix the problem of no signal whatsoever in my house first though :D

Orange I've found are sneaky too - they offered my friend a regrade to a different tariff after his first sixth months, but then they just cobble the remaining months onto the end of the minimum contract term so you end up locked in for two years if you regrade! They didn't make this clear to him and he was stuck afterwards.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I haven't used three for many years, but the quality of the handset/network was terrible and would often get dropped voice calls. I have never had this on another network not once. Perhaps they have got their act together now

Tony

Caroline

Jan 26, 2009
Suffolk
Caroline

I ran for 10+ years with Vodaphone and regret having left them! I took out an 18 month contract with 3 in September 08, relying on O2 as their roaming partner to get a signal round here. In October 08, 3 switched from O2 to Orange. 3 didn't tell me (although they reckon they wrote to me:rolleyes:). Now I have no signal in the majority of places I go. I have been trying to get 3 to terminate my contract since the end of November and they refuse point blank. I'm almost at the end of my tether - not only is it really frustrating, but I object to paying out for a contract I can barely use!!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Three called my wife yesterday to offer an upgrade (must be desperate, they told me the other day that it would cost me £80 to upgrade early to a phone that is just £75 to buy on PAYG).

What annoyed me, working in sales myself, was the way they did it, and this is true for all companies that are trying to make you upgrade. Rather than find out her needs, he just went straight into offering her a laptop.

She said no but he pushed it, saying it was only £22 a month for a two year contract and she got a free laptop. She pointed out that it would technically cost her over £500 but he just banged on about how good an offer it was and offered mobile broadband as well.

When she pointed out that we already have a laptop and a broadband connection he said "but this is a netbook, it's smaller and more portable so you can take it out and about with you".

My wife stated that we don't ever take our laptop out but he wouldn't budge so she ended the call.

Now.... sales masterclass....

He should have called and asked her a few questions to judge whether she would really WANT a netbook. If she does (a lot of people seem to) great! If not, have a new tariff/upgrade to offer instead. Just trying to continually push a product somebody doesn't want to buy is the sign of a poor sales team. If they don't want it they'll never buy it!!

(It reminded me of the sales analogy of trying to flog a two seater sports car to a family man that has four kids. No matter how many times you try to tell him how great it is it doesn't meet his needs)

Secondly, I don't like the 24 month contract thing that is creeping in, I've seen it on other networks too. They started to push contracts up to 18 months and now they're trying to move it up again. I appreciated that it's probably because people are leaving networks and because phones, being so expensive now, are costing the networks money. But maybe they should offer greater incentives for loyalty?

I would still be with Orange now if they hadn't offered me such a poor, poor deal for four years as a customer (10% off my bill and wouldn't match any of their 'new customer' deals). Lesson to learn?

My issue with a 2 year contract is you get a phone that is quickly dated, locked into what could prove to be a poor tariff in the future and can't upgrade for a year and a half or more. If you try and change your tariff they're bound to 'renew' your contract.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I ran for 10+ years with Vodaphone and regret having left them! I took out an 18 month contract with 3 in September 08, relying on O2 as their roaming partner to get a signal round here. In October 08, 3 switched from O2 to Orange. 3 didn't tell me (although they reckon they wrote to me:rolleyes:). Now I have no signal in the majority of places I go. I have been trying to get 3 to terminate my contract since the end of November and they refuse point blank. I'm almost at the end of my tether - not only is it really frustrating, but I object to paying out for a contract I can barely use!!
Hi Caroline, you need to lodge a formal complaint then it is down the alternative disputes route:

Complaint being ignored by customer services | Ofcom

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
My issue with a 2 year contract is you get a phone that is quickly dated, locked into what could prove to be a poor tariff in the future and can't upgrade for a year and a half or more. If you try and change your tariff they're bound to 'renew' your contract.
I am on 18 months and it is too long, my phones just won't last that long. Unlike my wife, I don't keep it in a pouch, in a zipped up pocket in her handbag the whole time - and she wonders why she always misses calls.

One tip when comparing tariffs is that you can change to a cheaper tariff after 6 months on a 12 month contract and after 9 months on an 18 month contract - you need to factor that in when comparing. I also need to double check my facts.

Tony

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Phone companies are very quick to allow you to 'upgrade' your package but very louth to let you 'downgrade' it - in my experience they'll try and lock you in to another minimum period.