Which Act or Reg covers Train4TradeSkills?

Woot

Feb 11, 2010
I signed up to a distance course by Train4TradeSkills (Metropolitan International Schools Limited. I paid £100 deposit by credit card with £5670 remaining to pay by loan financed by Barclays Partner Finance. I have canceled the loan with BPF sucessfully, but have not had any adequate response from T4TS after two weeks despite canceling the course within 3 days by recorded mail with follow up letters by recorded and special delivery.

Am I covered by The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer’s Home or Place of Work etc Regulations 2008 or Consumer Credit Act 1974?

How should I enforce cancellation and refund if Train4TradeSkills continue to ignore my letters and phone calls? I don't want them chasing me for money and messing up my good credit history as others have reported who have canceled by writing within 7 days and been ignored.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
When did you sign up? How did you sign up? Over the web? What does the contract say about cancellation?

Tony

Woot

Feb 11, 2010
The salesman came to my house in January, three days after signing I posted back all the course materials left with me together with a letter canceling the course by recorded mail, the post office tracker shows it arrived at their office six days after signing. I have not received the second copy of the credit agreement mentioned in clause 8 below, presumably because the credit provider Barclays Partner Finance canceled it before it got to that stage, they confirmed it was canceled during a phonecall to them 7 days after signing but refuse to write to me confirming cancellation.

It says this on the back of the enrollment form I signed:

6. The student will have the right to terminate the course, providing he/she returns all the course materials together with WRITTEN CANCELLATION within 7 days of signing the Agreement, thus ensuring there is no confusion between the student and the college.

CLAUSE 6 ABOVE IS APPLICABLE ONLY TO STUDENT WHO ARE NOT ON CREDIT TERMS.

WRITTEN CANCELLATION MUST BE SENT BY RECORDED DELIVERY

CANCELLATION BY PHONE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

If the student meets all the conditions in clause 6 of the General Conditions, the College will retain a nominal charge of £45.00 to cover its administration costs and expenses.

7. THE COURSE CANNOT BE CANCELED AFTER 7 DAYS FROM SIGNING THE AGREEMENT.

8. .....I confirm I have received a copy of my credit agreement and I understand how the course operates, how it is funded and how to exercise my cancellation rights. I understand my credit agreement can only be canceled within 5 days of receiving the second copy of the credit agreement containing the right to cancel notice.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You have nothing to worry about as you have send the cancellation letter within seven days and have evidence of this. You could send them another recorded letter if you are worried stating that you send a recorded letter on xyz cancelling the contract within seven days and as you have not had confirmation of this you assume that the contract has been cancelled - or something similar.

Tony