Various issues with dealership inc. being overcharged for car and fault after 6 days!

loueystripes

Feb 11, 2010
Hi all, Im looking for some advice if anyone can offer it.

I drove away a BMW 3 Series sport from a KIA dealership last week. My husband visited the dealership 2 weeks beforehand to view the car after seeing it on Autotrader. He took it out for a test drive and 'negotiated' a deal with one of the salesmen. When I say negotiate, I use this term very loosely as any discount on the price was rejected due to the 'cheap price of the car' and 'someone was going to pay a deposit on it that afternoon so couldn’t offer a discount'. My husband noticed a rattle on the exhaust and a couple of the tires needed replacing so that was another reason why the salesman wouldnt accept a cheaper offer. The deal was agreed and my husband paid the deposit there and then, and I travelled to the dealership the following day with my husband to organise the finance agreement.

We had waited nearly 2 weeks to pick up the car as there was a problem with the registration of the vehicle as it was previously on a private plate. During this time, we noticed that the price that we had been charged for the car was £6495, compared to the advertised price on Autotrader as £6450. We questioned this with the salesman when we picked up the car and he said he was not willing to give us any discount (?!!!) because the car needed the exhaust fixing, 2 tyres replaced (as needed) and brake pads were replaced following a service/MOT. Surely these things would have needed to be done regardless if we had paid the advertised price, or the overcharged price? And it wasn’t discount we were asking for, it was only to pay the actual price the car was advertised at.

I challenged the salesman with this and explained these would have needed to be done anyway, he replied with 'well just forget about it then, and I'll give you your deposit back!' - meaning we would walk away without the car. I was completely taken aback by this comment, as we had travelled from Hartlepool to Bradford 3 times now, and to have this response as we were just about to be given the keys to our new car, we felt completely undervalued as customers and appalled by his tone and attitude. We really wanted the car and had drove many miles with a toddler in the back so ended up taking the car...even though I was livid!!

I understand the price we were charged may only be £45 over the advertised price, though on principle we shouldn’t have been charged this amount. To top this off, the rear parking sensors are not working correctly, which is something that I'm guessing should have been checked before the car was sold to us. AND, just 6 days later, we have a loud rattling (sounds like the exhaust) when the car is ticking over - before driving. So that needs repairing.

My questions are...

- What rights do we have to challenge the price we paid as we took the car last week?
- If the parking sensors and rattle needs repairing - do we need to take the car all the way to Bradford to have it fixed, or may there be an opportunity to take it to another KIA dealership where they can repair it and cross charge it to the dealer we bought the car from?

Really looking forward to your responses....Im pretty gutted the car we loved, we are falling out of love with because of the poor service weve received...sob!!

Thanks in advance
:)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Re: Various issues with dealership inc. being overcharged for car and fault after 6 d

Hi,

Apologies, missed this. There is nothing you can do about the pricing issue - retailer shave no obligation to sell anything at any price.

To answer your other question, the dealer has to be given the opportunity to put it right and you shouldn't be out of pocket i.e. it would be reasonable to claim petrol if they want you to drive it all that way. Local dealers might be franchises and completely different legal entities.

Tony