Replacing Tyres

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
When our car went in for its last service, we were told that it would need two new front tyres in a couple of months. My dad (who works at Vauxhalls) has confirmed this when he checked the thread himself.

However I am in a bit of a dilemma. A couple of major tyre replacement chains are offering 25% off the price, if you buy four tyres from them. I don't have the depth of the tread on the rear tyres to hand, but they seemed to be fine for a while yet.

However is it a false economy for me to get just the two front tyres replaced, and then have to replace the rear two in a while anyway and pay the full price for all four... Or should I just get all four replaced now and pay for the equivalent of three?

As you can tell, I am really not a car fanatic. What is the general opinion here about the best course of action? The car is a new model Astra by the way. I've asked two people so far, my dad reckons I should get all four done because of the offer, my brother says that I should only pay for what I need now. Help!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How much tread/wear is left on the rear ones? You could do a deal and say you will buy the four now and have the rear two fitted when needed. Make sure it is a legitamate deal by checking prices at other garages.

Good luck

Tony

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
I am not a car fanatic either but I would get the four. This way you have two ready when they need replaced and you will have saved by getting the tyres at the offer price- cars always need new tyres !!