Buying New Used Car

Steven

Feb 21, 2010
Hi

Buying a New Used Car 07 £10,000 plate during the sale after inspecting the car I pointed out about 7 faulits and asked that these be repaired as part of the contract I was due to pick up the car on Friday for it to still be siting with no repairs done I have now gave them until Wed to repair the car if they fail to do this can I pull out of the sale

Thanks Steven

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Surely the sale isn't complete until you have handed over the money? i.e you must be able to pull out can't you?

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
how far into the sale are you?

Have you signed anything yet?

if you have signed How long after signing did you check the vehicle?

Steven

Feb 21, 2010
All the points were pointed out before I sgined up to the deal and were part of the deal that these would all be repaired back today and roof still not fixed and no date given as to when I will be picking up the car

Steven

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
So you signed? Sorry, I don't want to be the harbringer of doom but I don't think it looks good. Any advice from anyone out there?

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
I would check the length of your cooling off period in the contract and try to get out of it that way because if they are messing you around that much do you want to do business with them?

If you are outside of your colling off period check if the faults and their repairs are mentioned in the contract. If so then the garage must complete them within a reasonable time. If they have advised you three days and its now day eight then i would write them a letter outlining your intentions to pull out of the sale due to a breach of contract and set out a timescale you believe to be reasonable. If they do not adhere to the terms of the letter i would pull out of the deal completely citing breach of contract as your reason and charge any funds paid back onto your credit/debit card (dont forget if its a credit card all transactions are guaranteed by the card company)

If it is just a verbal promise by the garage and there is no mention about the faults in the contract then it will make things a bit harder for you but i would still send that letter as way to prod them along a bit.

After that its legal advice i'm afraid!

Steven

Feb 21, 2010
Hi

I have been told I can pull out under the Supply of Goods Act 1973 by comcumer direct people over the phone by saying they have failed to furfil their side of the contract

Steven

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Just out of interest did you get this all in writing or was it verbal. It is a really smart thing to do most people just hand over the cash without doing any kind of inspection.

Tony

Timber

Apr 7, 2010
Good news in the end. Make sure you check out the used car and test drive it before you purchase in the future!