Lost training fees

Phill Power

Feb 21, 2010
Hello to everyone at What Consumer

I have a question regarding training fees that I hope someone can help me with. I signed up for a Home Inspector course with Home Inspector Training at
Manchester in 2008, I paid £1000 deposit & paid for the rest of the fees with a £5800 loan from Barclays finance which I have since paid off, the problem is
HIT who then became Property Professionals+ has recently gone into administration & 1: I have a completed portfolio which needs assessing & passing before I can advertise my services as a qualified professional & 2: I am entitled to two further training modules which I have paid for.
My question is, can I claim any course fees back for the services I have paid for but not recieved & if so who from? Barclays finance or the administrator
perhaps!
Thank-you in advance

Amez

Feb 21, 2010
i would try phoning barclays direct as it sounds you are in the same sort of situation as my husband.. barclays again they must have loaned money to some risky companies

Phill Power

Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for your thoughts on this Amez, i am presently doing some research on something called S75 credit agreement & when I have a better understanding of it I will be contacting Barclays finance.
I will post back with anything that may help others who have suffered the same fate

Amez

Feb 21, 2010
I would really apreciate that Phil thank you , and like wise if I get any more information I will blog you .
kind regards Amez

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
i'm not sure about the legalities of claiming a refund via HIT or PP but if you paid any part of the invoice by credit card its covered under that guarantee and barclays may offer a similar thing with purchases made using loans. Speak to your card and loan providers to see if theres anyhting they can do to help.

Phill Power

Feb 21, 2010
Thanks for the link Hughesy, but unfortunately for me I paid a £1000 deposit using a maestro debit card & so it is not covered by the credit card agreement, as I entered into a credit agreement with Barclays Finance for the balance of the course fees would they have any obligation to offer a partial refund?
I am going to contact them today & will post back what the outcome is, I believe Barclays Finance retains 20% of the course fees until the trainee has actually completed their training, but Im not sure if this has any bearing on the issue.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
See my signature links you only need to pay a part of the fees with credit for the credit provider to be liable for the whole amount. As long as it is more than £1 and less than £30,000 in total.

Phill Power

Feb 21, 2010
Thank-you for your help & the links provided Tony, does it matter that I have
paid Barclays Finance back in Full? when I realised there was a problem with the training I was paying for ie (no work at the end of it to pay the finance back) I went to my own bank & got a small business loan to pay off Barclays Finance, as this is a £100 pm cheaper & £2000+ cheaper over the full term.
I have no issues with my own bank as they were helpful when I explained the reasons why I needed the loan.
Once again thanks & any further help would be much appreciated

Phill Power

Feb 21, 2010
After seeking advice from people better qualified than myself in regards to my OP, I wrote to Barclays Partner Finance on 24/02/10 & sent the letter recorded delivery as advised, I have requested a refund on 3 counts.

1: BPF have an equal liability under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974,

2: The salesman/recruiter at Property Professionals used misleading facts & figures to both induce me to sign the training agreement & to apply for a loan to pay for that training, a breach of the Misrepresentation Act 1967,

3: The service was not carried out with reasonable skill, care, time or price,
a breach of the Supply of Goods Act 1982.

Now it may be a coincidence but on saturday I recieved a letter from BPF advising me that they were trying to find another trainer for me & that I need not worry or do anything else they would be in touch.
No mention of the letter that I had sent recorded delivery though!
The outstanding training I have paid for but not recieved will cost about £3000, what are the chances of another trainer providing this training free?

steven300

Apr 28, 2010
hi, just ove 2 years ago i enrolled on a home inspectors course with property professionals (formerly HIT) THEY HAVE GONE INTO ADMINISTRATION, and i have not been able to complete my course.Can i use the chargeback facility on my nationwide visa debit card to claim my £8800 fees back