Dogs

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Not exactly money saving so I'm probably in the wrong forum but I just saw an article on this in a paper and the expense of having one has put me off. Am I being silly? Are they really that expensive?

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
i suppose it depends on

1) Size of animal
2) if its one of those posh pedegrees (they tend to need insurance, registration fees, more visits to the vets due to compomised imune systems thru intensive rearing etc)

If you go to a local animal shelter and get a homeless medium sized mongrel you can feed it for about £7 per week (How much is a life worth anyway). Not only that because they're not puppies they are likely to be less boisterous and possibly even house trained already. Most of them have been abused by owners and just want a decent life, in return they offer years of endless love and companionship.

I found this article about feeding a dog
"Adult dogs don't need as much food as puppies. According to Ask the Veterinarian, when picking out dog food you want to pick a food that contains around 21 percent protein, 5 percent oil, 2.5 percent fiber and 8 percent. Aim to feed smaller-breed dogs (up to 11 pounds) three to five ounces of food per day. For dogs that are 11 to 22 pounds, feed four to six ounces per day. Dogs that are 22 to 55 pounds should eat 10 to 12 ounces of dog food per day. Larger breeds around 55 to 77 pounds need 16 to 18 ounces per day. And finally, for very large dogs"

If not just get a cat - LOL

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
We've already got a cat! A recent addition to the house but I think it's crazy enough to be ok with a dog too. You broke my heart with your descriptions of the dogs that need to be given a home. I did go a dog rescue centre not so long ago but backed away as most of the dogs in there were pit bull type dogs (sorry everyone, I'm not clear on what breeds these dogs are) and didn't think they were suitable for family life. Clearly all the owners who got them before thought they weren't suitable for whatever their lives were once they changed from being cute puppies! I think I'm probably looking for a mutt.

Hughesy

Feb 18, 2010
i have two kittens and they are my life. But i would love a dog as well. good luck with the pet search.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Cute. My cat was cute once and then I turned around and there he was ... so watch out! I think it may be more a question of what dog won't be terrified of my cat in this circumstance. Anyway, on with the search ...