Heating Bills - any way to save on these?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Just as we're starting to head out of a long (really long!) winter, I think I need to review my heating etc in the house. My house is very draughty and absolutely not energy efficient. I am dreading the next bill which will tell me exactly what it has cost to keep me nice and warm. Other than double glazing the windows (which I can't afford) and insulating the roof (which we've done) what other ways are there that are worth looking into to economise on the heating bills. Are solar panels a complete nonsense on a small house in a city or not?

Henry

Mar 4, 2010
Solar panels aren't really worth the outlay. They end up taking about 20 years to recoup the purchase/installation cost from the money you save on your electricity bill.

How about getting some draft excluders on the bottom of all your doors? They're very easy to fit and only cost a few pounds. Even just get those long cushion ones and lay them in front of external doors once you are in for the evening.

You could also look around your house at open spaces, such as around window frames and at the bottom of the skirting board - fill these gaps up with silicone sealant or caulk and this will help reduce airflow.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks Henry - yes, I suppose it's the little things that count. I also never ever switch off radiators in rooms that I don't use. I just don't think about it and really think I ought to start.