comet cometh and then go!

daniel1

Mar 4, 2010
dewsbury, yorkshire
:confused:In june of last year i purchased from comet,a netbook for my 12 year old daughter and voiced that i specifically required good media software/hardware incorperated,this being web cam and in-built microphone(verbally to salesperson),also asking for the most reasonabley priced system.The salesperson pointed me to an acer aspire netbook which worked on a new operating system called linpus linux therfore it was considerably cheaper than other systems and that it had all the features i had specified,brilliant advice and service,paid cash,left shop with item very content and somewhat smitten with my BARGAIN purchase.On testing the system a couple of days later i found that the in-built microphone did not work(no sound?).Games etc had no sound issues and were fine but microphone did not record sound.I checked the obvious
settings etc but to no avail, so that day i returned too the store and explained my situation to a salesperson who duly informed me that as it was under manufacturers warranty, they were not at liberty to rectify my situation and pointed out that i had to take it up with the manufacturer personally?She did however politily let me use a phone in the store(so kind).I spoke to an acer tech who told me i had to re-set the system back to it's original factory settings.I went away,did this,it didn't work so i returned to comet who said it wasn't there problem.7 months later and i still have a netbook which doesn't suit purpose! it's been away to acer,come back still not working,comet have blamed acer,acer have blamed comet,so much happened in the 7 months,it's too much to type but comet have done eveything to wash there hands of any responsability and even trading standards didn't give me any clarifacation as to who was liable? comet are now claiming that that perticuler system does not include a WORKING microphone therefore it is not a fault as acer have claimed in writing to me(acer tech's report states that the system has a Fault and that they can not rectify) so surely they have sold me a product that is not fit for purpose anyway?

Comet Response

Dec 8, 2009
Hi daniel1

My name’s Matt and I’m from Comet.

It was disappointing to learn of the problems that your daughter is experiencing with her Netbook.

Although Acer are our nominated repair agent, any responsibility regarding the purchase is with Comet. There appears to be two different issues relating to the same thing, which is you have stated that the laptop was sold as having a working microphone yet it does not have this feature, or that the feature is there but Acer are unable to repair it?

Therefore, so that I can look into this further for you and understand what the issue is could you please e-mail me directly by visiting comet.co.uk and clicking on the services button next to the search tab, then click on the 'Ask a Question' link on the right-hand side of the page.

You will need to register a few details with us in order to be able to send your e-mail in.

Thanks

Matt

samson97

Jun 23, 2010
hi comet responce i bought a cooker from comet on the internet, i was given the delivery time, (comet had taken the payment for the cooker) the day it should have been delivered i got a phone call at 3pm from the delivery driver saying he had the paper work but no cooker only a fridgefreezer left on his wagon. (a day wasted and time off work) I telephoned comet and told they would look into it and phone me back. they did the next day to say the cooker i had ordered was out of stock, SO YOU NOT ONLY TOOK THE PAYMENT OUT OF MY BANK KNOWING IT WAS OUT OF STOCK YOU ALSO GAVE ME A FALSE DELIVERY DATE. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT ANOTHER ITEM FROM COMET.

AlexanderA

Oct 23, 2010
hi comet responce i bought a cooker from comet on the internet, i was given the delivery time, (comet had taken the payment for the cooker) the day it should have been delivered i got a phone call at 3pm from the delivery driver saying he had the paper work but no cooker only a fridgefreezer left on his wagon. (a day wasted and time off work) I telephoned comet and told they would look into it and phone me back. they did the next day to say the cooker i had ordered was out of stock, SO YOU NOT ONLY TOOK THE PAYMENT OUT OF MY BANK KNOWING IT WAS OUT OF STOCK YOU ALSO GAVE ME A FALSE DELIVERY DATE. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT ANOTHER ITEM FROM COMET.
This is really good to know. Thanks for sharing, sorry you had the bad experience though.

Did you get your money back?

samson97

Jun 23, 2010
hi yes after 14 days, they also sent me a questioner recently asking what i thought of the cooker, and did i want to take out a extended warranty. what can you say about a cooker you never received.

samson97

Jun 23, 2010
After all my problems i decided to look elswhere for a cooker, and i found one the same as i had ordered and cheaper, also they never took the money untill dispatched, i got it on the date i asked and payed £10 for the old cooker to be taken away, so i can recommend Appliances on line, and will use them again.