Dodgy Alfa Romeo

Blinkyfish

Mar 6, 2010
I bought a 2nd hand Alfa Romeo 156 02 plate, towards the end of January 2010, paying £2000. It is beautiful to drive, however, within one day I realised there was problems with the passenger side suspension - i took it to my local garage who explained there was some major work needed - I got a list of repairs needed and took it back to the original garage. To their credit they took it back saying that they would carry out the repairs - I got it back 7 days later and within a day there was the same problem - I took it in to my local garage again and they said they had not replaced the upper suspension arm and they had also split the cv boot when they had replaced the old one.

On contacting the garage they seemed very reluctant to take it back for repairs, and I thought that I would actually take it back to my local garage for them to do the repairs and just incur the expense. Which is what I did - a week later I drive down to Nottingham only for the cambelt to snap leaving me with a very expensive repair job (£800 - £900!). Do I have any grounds to go back to the 2nd Hand Car Dealer to ask for a refund of the expenses incurred or any grounds to demand my money in full? I have lost all faith in this car now.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Blinkyfish,

You are not going to like this but I don't think anybody could have foreseen the cam belt snapping. It is an eight year old car, these things happen.

Tony

Blinkyfish

Mar 6, 2010
Well I will give it go - you never know - I will go with the Sales of Goods Act approach first - see where we go.....desperate times.