Computer parts issues

harlon

Mar 8, 2010
Hi just wanted to post up something here to get advice as to what i should do and also to see if my rights are infringed.

Hard part is knowing where to start....
About 3 months ago i decided to upgrade my PC and so i went to
OverclockersUK
to purchase the parts for my 2nd custom build.

After a lot of problems i end up having to send back some parts that are faulty.

So i phone up thier support line and explain my problems and i get 2 RMA numbers 1 for a power supply unit and the other for a motherboard.
I am told over the phone that both of these will be replaced.

The next day i log onto my account on thier website to track the progress of these 2 items.
The motherboard shows that i am being sent a replacement but the PSU(power supply unit) shows status and i quote

"We are currently awaiting a replacement from our supplier."

i call the support line again to ask what this means and they tell me that they have to send the faulty PSU to the manufacturer who will then send a replacement to them which will then get posted to me i am then informed that this process could take up to 28 Working Days.

I submit a complaint form through thier webnote system pointing out to them

Statutory Instrument 2002 No. 3045
The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002

48B Repair or replacement of the goods
If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must -
(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
(b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

I point out how this is the sellers responsibility and not the manufacturers
i point out how 28 working days (thats over a month) is not a reasonable time
I ask them in light of this for them to send me a replacement from thier stock [of which thier website shows they have 10+] and for them to put the one they recieve from the manufacturer into thier stock.

I then get this reply

Dear Sir,

I am affraid that I am unable to help you as you haven't provided me with you order number or your RMA number.

Our current company policy on return items that are over 28days old will be returned to the manufacturer for them to replace or repair the item. We state this as being 28days. Some suppliers take loner than this however is this is the case we get confirmation from the supplier on what action they are going to take and we do this in advance.

If you provide me with your order number or RMA number I will see what we can do to help your situation.

Regards

Chris Montgomery

Returns Manager
Overclockers UK
One issue i have is i am being told by friends that any dealings the seller has with the manufacturer should not come between the seller and myself as the consumer but i cant seem to find anything to support this.

My question is am i within my rights asking them to send me a replacement from thier stock and for them to wait for the manufacturer to send them a replacement.