Hi, new here and desperately need help!

michellek

Mar 8, 2012
Essex
Hi, I have been looking on here for advice and decided to join to see if anyone can help with our situation. I am very sorry if this all seems a bit long.

On 10/01/2012, my husband bought a power supply unit for £49.99 from an independent computer shop based in Essex (have not named them as not sure if that is ok or not). He installed the PSU and on 21/01/2012 the PC shut off without warning. After trouble shooting the problem, he found the PSU was no longer working.

As he had only had it for just over 1 week and it must have obviously been faulty, not fit for purpose and was well within the guarantee, he took the PSU back to the shop with the receipt the next day (22/01/2012). He explained to the lady at the counter, that the unit had stopped working and asked for a refund. The reply he received was very shocking! She said, you must have broken it, we use these in our PC`s and have never had problems with them, that is why we don't like selling components to customers, because they don't know what they are doing. She then in a very condescending and patronising voice said, have you ever built computers before?
My husband used to be a computer engineer, so he knows exactly what he is doing! So very politely he explained to her that he has been building PC`s since 1998 and has built hundreds due to having worked as a computer engineer.

She eventually said that she would be seeing the rep next week and would ask him if she could get a refund for him. She kept the PSU and gave him a receipt which states the item name, price and says, returned please check to see if supplier will take back. She took my husbands number and told him that she would contact him once she had spoken to the rep.

On 29/01/2012, my husband went back to the shop as a week had gone by and no one had contacted him. The lady he had spoken to before saw him and ignored him, so he waited for a man to come to the counter (this man was working on a computer when the lady had spoke to my husband after he asked for a refund). My husband then explained what had happened and again asked for a refund. He told him that the rep hadn't been in yet, so they couldn't do anything until they saw the rep which should be early next week. My husband asked him to phone him to let him know what was happening which the man at the counter assured him he would do. So my husband left without this being resolved for the second time.

Still no contact, so my husband phoned them on 02/02/2012. The lady he spoke to was a different one and was very nice and understanding, he explained everything and asked her if they could contact the rep, she said yes she had his number and would contact him straight away after their phone call. During this last bit whilst they were talking, my husband heard someone in the background say something to her, to which she then said to my husband, her manager had just spoken to her and that she would contact him as soon as she had spoken to the rep (exactly as he had been told before!!) My husband asked her to make sure she would phone him and she said she would, soon.

As we had still not heard from them, we started to research this company and to our shock have found we are not alone with regards to their disgraceful customer service and reluctance to give refunds in some cases they have even threatened people!! So we looked into what the next step would be and used a template letter regarding the sale of goods act which we sent via recorded delivery on 21/02/2012 and was signed for on 22/02/2012. We asked in the letter for them to please respond by 1st March 2012. We still haven't heard anything.

As we need the computer, my husband bought another PSU and since installing it on 23/01/2012, we have had no problems whatsoever. We would really appreciate help and advice as to whether we have done the right thing so far, and how to progress from here.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I have been in a similar position in the past and wish I knew then what I know now!!!

Your contract is with the shop, not the supplier or their rep, it is up to the shop to give you the refund, how they resolve the issue on their own part is not your concern and has no affect on your rights.

Yes you have done right by writing to them, your next step is to write again telling them you intend taking them to the small claims court, give them a week to 10 days to respond, if they don't then your next step is the small claims court, not sure what the PSU cost, you will have to balance that against the cost of taking them to court.

It isn't a difficult process, you can do it online here:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
Please feel free to name & shame, companies failing to obide by the law should be put to shame and publicised on their wrong doing.
Is this shop in Brentwood by any chance?

michellek

Mar 8, 2012
Essex
Thanks so much for your reply. That is what we thought would be next, but we are very worried that we wont get any where and feel very angry that we can see this matter being unresolved as we have also found out that this company is also being `protected` by a local `heavy mob`and it will probably cost more to take them to court than the price of the PSU which was £49.99. I feel so angry that there are companies like this who probably know we wont have the money to take them to court, so we will end up with a receipt from them which has cost us £49.99 :(. We will get writing, and keep you informed of the outcome, thanks again.

michellek

Mar 8, 2012
Essex
Hi ALewis, as I am new, I didn't want to break the rules:). The company is RedHouse Computers based in Orsett, and protected by a group who use bullying tactics, which is probably why they feel they can use the same tactics to their customers after they have received their money.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Well it will only cost you £25 to submit a claim online so I think got to be worth it. There's no guarantee that they will pay out if you win, in that case it probably wouldn't be financially viable but they would have a CCJ against them.

I find it quite worrying that a retailer needs 'protection' it may be an idea to go to Consumer Direct to start with, I don't mean to worry you by that comment but if there is something dodgy about this company, CD/Traing Standards can act on your information.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi ALewis, as I am new, I didn't want to break the rules:). The company is RedHouse Computers based in Orsett, and protected by a group who use bullying tactics, which is probably why they feel they can use the same tactics to their customers after they have received their money.
I totally understand, on these forums it's fair game to name n shame.

As Witch Consumer has said, the fees for SCC are only around £25 for the value of under £500 or so, and yes that is half the cost of the PSU, but if you win your case, the other side pay the costs.
If they don't pay, like Witch said, they'll get a CCJ, and you could also apply for orders to be placed upon them to enforce the payment, however as always, to apply it would cost.

You may find it more convenient to get in touch with consumer direct (phone number at top of this site) and your complaint will be passed on to Essex Trading Standards, who should get in touch with you.

michellek

Mar 8, 2012
Essex
Hi again, just an update.

We still hadn't heard from Redhouse Computers, and thought we would go and try again to get our refund before sending another letter and then on to court. Unfortunately, we can only go there at the weekends and finally got round to it today.

Thanks to your advice, we went in with new found confidence and went straight up to the manager (who was rude before) and simply said, we have come to collect our refund for the PSU, and what do you know, we got it with no problems! Obviously the letter had made them think twice lol, so thanks so much for your help, and to everyone out there, please be very careful if you do decide to purchase from Redhouse Computers in Orsett.

michelle x :)