12 month guarantee

kavanauk

Jul 14, 2015
Hi
I purchased a CCTV system from Amazon on June 10th 2014.

In May of this year, it developed a fault. It would only stay online for 2 or so minutes. I have a 2nd device exactly the same which is fine.

At the start of June 2015 i went onto Amazons website and clicked on the return item box.

The page would then load, with instructions to print off a label. However this 'label' bit was blank. I thought this might be down to viewing the page on my tablet. However i could see a box stating please ensure the item is returned by July 10th.

Middle of June i had to go away to Sunderland for my mums funeral, and wasnt in a state to do much. Ended up in hospital with slashed wrists. And several GP visits.

Trying to get on top of life again, tried again to print off the label. I couldnt. Opened a chat with Amazon. They said very sorry you couldnt print out the label, but the item is out of guarantee now. I asked for a response from a manager.

Today i got a response again stating the item is now out of guarantee, ignoring the fact that i clicked on the return item box at the start of June. They are prepared to offer a 'goodwill gesture' of £73. The item cost £150.

I have quoted the sales of goods act, plus the EU directive 1999/44/EC about 2 year warranties. I have sent them copies of my email box which showed alerts as the camera kept going offline in May, before the guarantee ran out.

I spend several thousands a year on Amazon and can only remember returning one item in 5 or so years.

My question really is, say for example a product failed the day the guarantee ran out, is there something like a 2 week period in which to notify the company or 28 days etc. If so, i can quote that. They dont seem to accept that i clicked on the return button early June, even though i can go into that right now and see the instructions to print off the label.

Really just after any advice.

i feel i can prove my case should i have to go to the small claims court. I have recorded my PC and what happens when i click on the return item box. I can show proof the item stopped working before the guarantee ran out. And if needed i can show photos from my mums funeral and hospital letters re my admission due to my following breakdown.

Im a bit staggered to be honest at Amazons response, but dont relish the prospect of going to the small claims court..

Thank you for reading my waffle, sorry ive gone on a bit..