Advice on items delivered by mistake!

draperm25

Dec 3, 2009
Hi all,

Just let me apologise for the looooong post!

I'm just after a bit of advice with regarding an item that was delivered by mistake! Here's how it all has come about.

I ordered an iMac for my daughter in the end of October 2013 for Christmas 2013. Bought through tesco website as we had a discount code and used my father in laws staff discount as he works in one of the stores. It came to the day that it was being delivered. The delivery guy turns up and brings the cardboard box to the front door, and says, "I'll get the other box now" I was wondering what he was talking about as I knew that it would all be in the 1 box, (but then I thought that it was my sister in laws as she had ordered a iMac from tesco 2 days before, so I thought that they had sent the 2 iMacs out the same day as they were being delivered to the same address) He brought the other box, which was the size of a washing machine. So we took it in thinking it was my sister in laws and the driver went. I checked the order numbers on both boxes, and both ordered numbers on both boxes were my order numbers. I opened the first box and saw it was the iMac, so closed that box back up and went to open this other massive box. I opened the box and it was ANOTHER iMac.

So we phoned Tesco straight away to explain what has happened and to see if it was my sister in laws iMac. To which tesco said that they had only sent out 1 iMac. So I explained that we have had 2 delivered. The operator was quite shocked and had to put us on hold as she didn't know what to do, she was explaining that if she sent a courier out to pick up the iMac because our order number barcode would be scanned back in as a return, we would automatically be issued a refund. So she had to check with her manager, so she said she would ring us back. 20minutes later and she phoned us back and they said that they will give us a £50 good will jesture for letting them know that an extra one was delivered as they have no trace of the other iMac leaving the warehouse. So they arranged for the courier to come the next day to pick the iMac and when the iMac is scanned back into the warehouse the £50 good will jesture will go back onto my card. Which it did 3 days later. All was fine...... So we thought.

The day came for my sister in laws iMac to be delivered. The same courier came who dropped off the other 2 iMacs, but this time only 1 box was delivered. Brilliant, she checked the box only 1 iMac, and then my sister started unwrapping hers to get it all set up.

After an hour there was a knock at the front door it was the courier guy again with another box. Yes you guessed it, ANOTHER IMAC, was delivered. So we phoned tesco again and explained everything again and what had happened before. So the same was arranged again, £50 good will jesture was added back onto my sisters card. An courier was arranged to come and pick up the iMac for 3 days later.

3 days pass and no courier has turned up to pick the iMac up. So we phone again to explain, and then they arrange again for another courier to come out the pick it up. But no one turns up again. So we phone tesco again and the same was arrange, and we said that we were getting fed up of arranging things and no one was coming to collect the parcel. She apologised and said that someone will definatly be there in 3 days times to pick up the parcel. Well needless to say, no one turned up.
My father in law was getting quite annoyed at this, so went into work and spoke to someone in there to see if they can get something done as they have an iMac sitting in the spare room and no one is coming to collect it. They said they will speak to someone in head office about it, but nothing has been done about it, and he has the attitude, if they want it they can come and get it in my time now, no more waiting for tesco's.

So the question I want to know is, what should she do now? As she have had a iMac sitting in the spare bedroom since October last year?
Does she just claim it as hers as she's made an effort to try and return the item? Or does she try again?

Many thanks

Mark.