Amazon Market place issue with faulty Tablet

xendistar

May 10, 2013
I purchased a brand new Samsung 7" Tablet for my son from Amazon on the 2nd May, the Tablet duly arrived the box was sealed, I open it tested the tablet which worked OK and then put it away for my sons birthday later in the month. We gave the tablet to my son for his birthday and everything was ok until 31st May, he put the tablet on charge but when he tried to turn the tablet on it would not switch on. We tried other leads and power supply as we have them available but we were not able to turn the tablet on.

I contacted Amazon on the May 31st about the problem and they replied later that day telling that I had actually purchased the tablet from a seller on the Amazon Market place called UM Sales and any warranty issues would be dealt with by them. They kindly past my email regarding the fault on to UM Sales, UM sales contacted me later on the 31st to clarify when it stopped working to which I answered it stopped on the 31st May.

UM Sales replied later on the 31st telling that he had purchased the tablet from Tesco's and would check with them what there returns policy was. After not being contacted within the given time frame I contacted UM Sales (via Amazon) and asked them what the outcome was. They replied that Tesco's told him I would need to contact Samsung regarding the warranty.

At this point I raised a separate enquiry with Amazon asking them if it was correct that UM Sales can purchase a retail item from Tesco's and then sell it on Amazon Market place as a brand new item? I have no idea if the warranty that comes with the tablet is transferable or even if the Tesco responsibility under the sales of goods act is transferable. Amazon got back to me saying that they would investigate the situation but I would not be told what the outcome was.

I replied to UM Sales via Amazon on the 4th June stating that under the Sales of goods act section 14 that Amazon\UM Sales are responsible for resolving the issue and that it had nothing to do with Samsung. UM Sales replied on the same day telling that what he had told me previously was what he was told and that I could phone Tesco's up to check for myself and offering to send me the Tesco receipt.

On the 6th June I emailed Amazon over the issue and asked for a complete refund under their A to Z Guarantee claim. I today had a reply from Amazon stating that my claim under the A to Z Guarantee claim was invalid as I had not contacted the seller within 14 day of receipt of my order.

So the question is where do I go from here.

Tim

xendistar

May 10, 2013
Just an update. I have now received by email a copy of the order summary, it was bought from Tesco online on click and collect from the local Tesco store on 22nd April.

I don't know whether I should go to Tesco and try and get it replaced or go to Samsung?

xendistar

May 10, 2013
I thought I had better update this.

In the end I contacted Tesco on there support line we went through a couple of thing, and with the tablet still not working I was told that it would have to be Samsung that handled the repair. The Tesco guy put me through to Samsung, they again went through a couple of option, still not working so they agreed to have the tablet back for repair. They send out packaging and paid postage for the tablet, unfortunately the first one they send was only suitable for a smart phone. I advised Samsung and they send the correct packaging out, I send it back and about 15 days later I got an email from DPD that they were going to deliver the tablet back to me. It now works perfectly, the only thing I did not like was in the paperwork that Samsung send back they noted that the USB cable was faulty, which was total bollocks as I had tested the cable and the charger on another Samsung tablet and they worked perfectly.

In brief, here is where it all fell down.

Amazon wanted nothing to do with the issue as I had purchased it from a "Market" place seller and the market place seller handles all the issue. The only time Amazon will offer you a refund is if you contact them within 14 days of receiving the item.

The Market place company (UM Sales) I purchased the tablet from turned out to be an individual buying items cheap and then selling them on on his Amazon Market place account\company

UM Sales were not interested in any warrant just simply expected me to Contact Tesco;s (who he bought it from) or contact Samsung.

I did contact Amazon over the individaul purchasing the item as a retail items and then reselling the item on Amazon as a new item when in theory it was now second hand. they said they would investigate but would not tell me what the outcome was.

It really make you question if Amazon tatics with Market place sellers.