Apple MacBook Pro 2011 graphics card defect

Russy47

Sep 24, 2014
Hi there. I'm new here so not sure if this has been brought up before. I'd be surprised if not though.

Basically I purchased a 2011 MacBook Pro almost new from eBay in early 2012.
I'm the second owner. With no original receipt or proof of purchase.

The computer has been perfect as one would expect from apple, until 3 weeks ago, September 2014.
My 3 year old MacBook Pro early 2011 model developed a graphics card fault. The fault is well documented on the internet and apples own forum as being an inherent defect of the graphics card in 2011 MacBook pros caused by lead free solder developing fine cracks over time.
The main thread on apples forum for this issue has almost 1.5 million views and approaching 9000 replies.
Apple, I presume for legal reasons won't openly admit to the issue and haven't initiated a repair programme.

So my dilemma is can i take this to small claims court and force their hand without having proof of purchase?
Apple themselves have diagnosed the problem in my laptop as a graphics card failure. I can get a third party technician to diagnose and prove the fault. It IS and Inherent Defect. Apple themselves have told me where and when the laptop was purchased. PCWorld October 2011.
So do I have a case? I shouldn't need a proof of purchase. They know it was bought legit. Do I have to take PC world or apple to court?

The only solution apple offered me was a £400 repair which involves replacing the logic board with the same part that contains the inherent defect and will thus fail again in time. The repair comes with only 90 days warranty!?

I didn't damage or cause this problem. It manifested itself due to faulty parts in the product.

Appreciate anyones help and advice here.

Cheers, Russ.

Rights1

Dec 27, 2014
Hi Russ,

I am in the same position re buying a 2011 Macbook from eBay and now have the graphics card failure. How did you find out where they bought it from?

I would be interested to know what you decided to do?? Did you get anywhere?

Thanks,

Russy47

Sep 24, 2014
Hi - in the end I opted for a graphics card 'reball' which is the solder being professionally replaced on the problem GPU chip.
I got nowhere with Apple. I may have gotten somewhere further if Id had the receipt. It was Apple themselves who located where my MBP was originally purchased, which they know from the serial number.

Im still keeping an eye on forums and on the sites that are set-up about this problem.

A reball will cost around £80 plus delivery costs in the UK.

Seems to be the only option to actually fix the fault. Even if apple helped they would likely replace the faulty chip with another chip that has the same inherent defect.

Rights1

Dec 27, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure I will end up doing similar to you, I will try Apple as don't have anything to lose but will no doubt end up down the reballing method.

I always found that the computer ran hot - I think it uses the Radeon card when it is not necessary on normal web browsing.

I'll be keeping a close eye on it too - I noticed their has been a 'class action' being taken in California and Canada.

Thanks again

Darren