ASUS Laptop, 3rd repair - qualify for replacement?

anthony01

Jul 11, 2012
Hello,

was hoping for some advice regarding a laptop repair.
I bought it in November 2011 with 2 years warranty. First problem happened in February, battery had to be replaced. Then after 3 months I noticed that battery was faulty again (would charge only to 90%) and in addition to that right speaker and screen got damaged. I sent it back and got it back after 2 weeks. From 3 reported issues (battery, screen, speaker) they fixed one (replaced screen). I reported back that I am not happy and laptop is still faulty. They asked to send it back to them. Now I am over a month without a working unit. Today I got an email that repair would be delayed because of a missing part, my surprise was that missing part is a keyboard :) I didn't report any faults with keyboard so I guess it is something new they have found. My question is, can I at this stage, ask for replacement unit (money back?) or I don't have a right to do it?
Would appreciate any advice.

Regards,
Anthony

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello Anthony,
Under the circumstances you can request a refund, however it would only be partial to account for the time you've had it in whose hands.
My ultimate advice though, dont buy Asus computers in future....

anthony01

Jul 11, 2012
ALewis,

thank you for your replay. Well it is good to hear I can claim a refund. Do you know what should be the basis of the claim (number of repairs/faults)?

I would not agree that Asus makes low quality laptops. My previous model was Asus too and it has been working fine for 4 years. I do not defend Asus but I would say as a manufacturer they are above average if compared with others.

Regards,
Anthony

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I agree, Asus are good value for money (when they work)

They only have a reasonable time to repair it, consider 3 repairs as unreasonable, especially as they seem to have broken it even more than you did :D

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
There you go, Witch has answered. Oh from experiences of family etc I would rate them the same as 'zoostorm' lol :)
Good luck!

anthony01

Jul 11, 2012
Hi,

another week has passed and I still don't have my laptop back. In addition I got another email from ASUS today with information that repair was delayed again because of a missing part.
Can someone please advise what should be my next step. I guess that an email with something like "I expect a refund or replacement unit" is not good enough. Is there an act, paragraph or anything I can invoke in this case?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
If you want a partial refund or a replacement you should quote Section 14 of the Sale of Goods Act.
If you want it to be repaired you should quote the Supply of Goods and Services Act, with reference to "reasonable time"

:)
Edit: I'm on my phone - cannot provide copy and pastes :(

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
An email is as good as any other method of communication and at least you can get proof they have received and read it.

(2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—
(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).
The above is from the sale of goods act in reference to goods that have been accepted but then developed a fault.