Barclaycard Chargeback HELP!

topic63

Aug 27, 2013
I purchased some large items over the internet from a merchant in April 2013, the total cost came to £206.75 paid for on my Barclaycard Visa.
The items arrived and were of poor quality so I contacted the merchant to return the items for a refund. As they offered no return service, I had to arrange this myself and the cost came to an additional £55.00.
In the meantime, I also contacted Barclaycard to inform them and they suspended the payment.
After filling in all the forms and sending all the information I had to visa, they investigated the case, some weeks later they contacted me to say that the charge will be put back onto my card as the claim was unsuccessful?
On contacting Barclays, they explained that the merchant had said that the items were used and in an unsalable condition (this was certainly not the case). Again Barclays escalated the claim and suspended the payment, a few days later I was again contacted by visa to say that the charge would be put back onto my card as this time, my details/information contradicted the merchants (who's side are they on??)
I was told that a final letter would be sent out explaining their findings, which to be fair was full of discrepancies and errors and not what I had based the refund upon, they went on to say that I should contact the merchant myself to try and resolve?
I contacted the merchant on Friday 23rd August and was told by a customer care team member that the items were signed for as damaged, they may have been in a good condition but were not on delivery - No one had mentioned this until Friday?
I now find that I cannot base a claim against the courier as their T&C's mention a 3 day claim period for any losses or damages and that they will be rejected after this time.
The merchant also refuses to return my items only to say I am welcome to collect them with prior notice (what a neck) I cannot collect them as it is too far away, would not fit in a standard car or an estate so additional costs would be incurred in getting my property returned, they also blame Barclaycard visa for not refunding me??
So as things stand, I have paid £206.75 for items I no longer have, I have wasted £55.00 in returning the said items and the merchant refuses to return the items at their costs even though it was alright in me wasting my money sending them back to the merchant - IS THIS FAIR??:mad:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Not only is it not fair, it is in breach of the Distance Selling Regulations.

You have 7 days under the DSR to inspect and return goods, the don't have to be faulty, you don't need a reason to return them, in addition, the merchant is responsible for the return and if they did not do so, they cannot blame you if they were returned damaged, although I suspect they weren't.

Try again quoting the DSR and if you still get no joy, it may have to be the SCC

Barclay's are on the side of whoever let's them keep the most money, in this case the merchant.

topic63

Aug 27, 2013
Sorry but who are the SCC?
The items were purchased on or around the 22nd April but as the merchant offered no return service it took me a couple of weeks to find someone that could transport them economically?
The merchant was well aware of this, I even asked for their help or advice in trying to locate a transport service, i also requested if they could possibly collect at my expense but they refused to give any assistance?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
The notified intention of return is all that is required, its not a case of 'the goods must be in the sellers hands in 7 days', its a case of 'you must notify the seller of your intention to return the goods as per the DSR's within 7 days'.

The SCC is the Small Claims Court.

topic63

Aug 27, 2013
Hi & thanks for all the help and advice, I only wish I had done this much sooner :(

I have telephoned Barclaycard again today as the charge was back onto my account, yet again it has been suspended pending their complaints team response which can take 40 days!!
I tried to explain the DSR to the Asian fellow I spoke to and again explained that it did not matter what my reasons were for returning the items, he yet again mentioned that the merchant had suggested the items were returned in a used & damage condition (I know this, you've been telling me for the last few months!!)
Same old story but still getting no where with this I feel, making me and my wife sick with worry :mad: