BBC Watchdog: Diamonds are forever?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Britain is in the midst of wedding fever. While we can be pretty sure that Kate and Wills didn't get their engagement ring from Ernest Jones, Watchdog have been contacted by three viewers who did get their rings from the company... and wish they hadn't. Wobbly diamonds, misshapen rings, tarnished metal - these are all part of their complaints. But what's more is that Watchdog have also heard from a fourth viewer whose wedding and engagement ring were actually lost, after they handed them to Ernest Jones to be cleaned.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

(Do you have something to say about this story? Tell us what you think by emailing us here. Don't forget to include 'Ernest Jones ' in the subject line. Watchdog will publish a selection of viewers' comments underneath each story, both throughout and after the programme is on air. Please remember to include your name as you would like to see it published).

Stephanie Jefferies got engaged in 2007 but within eight months she returned her engagement ring to Ernest Jones because the metal had tarnished and one of the diamonds had been damaged. After a repair and just over a year later, the same diamond began to protrude - forcing another repair. But this only lasted five days until the diamond fell out and was replaced by another diamond which also fell out. Three repairs and two new diamonds later Stephanie feels she has received a terrible standard of customer service.

Stephanie commented: "I just wouldn't trust Ernest Jones again I've had enough problems with one ring [for] three and a half years and they've ruined so many special memories for me that I would just worry that if I had another ring from them the same thing is going to happen again."

Diane Ralph has also complained to Watchdog about Ernest Jones. On New Year's Day, Diane's fiancé proposed to her onboard a ship. It was meant to be the perfect day.

Diane says: "We took a tour round the HMS Victory and when we were up on the main deck, Nick got down on one knee and proposed to me, which was one of the most special moments of my life, it truly was one of those moments I'll remember for ever."

But sadly there was another moment to stay in the memory, as Diane discovered that the central diamond on the engagement ring was loose; and when Ernest Jones said they were unable to repair the ring the couple were simply given their money back.

"We'll never be able to create that moment, by handing the ring back we've lost not only lost the physical rings itself but we've also lost the sentimental value that comes with having a ring given to you by someone that you love,' she says.

And the complaints coming into Watchdog don't stop there. When Keith bought his wife, Sharon, an eternity ring to celebrate the birth of their daughter she thought it should last a lifetime, but within a few months it had begun to bend out of shape.

Eventually after a year it became un-wearable and she was forced to take the ring back to Ernest Jones. It was repaired but when it happened again Ernest Jones said that there was no manufacturing fault with the ring. Undeterred Sharon sent the ring to the National Association of Goldsmiths who had it tested. Their findings? The ring's alloy - while within hallmarking regulations - was too soft to be used for ring shanks. And that Sharon may have to accept a repair again from Ernest Jones.

"I really didn't trust them to take my ring away and repair it again because I didn't want to have to do to do it again in a year's time. I feel I just want a refund now, the ring has lost the meaning that it was given to me in the first place," she says.

Three unhappy Ernest Jones customers. But what if you gave your wedding and engagement rings to Ernest Jones and the rings never came back? Well that's what happened to Jocelyn from Colchester.

"I was totally shocked, I just, I didn't say anything to girl on the phone, I was devastated," says Jocelyn.

Her wedding and engagement rings were lost at the start of the year when the courier service Ernest Jones were using - to return her rings after they had been cleaned - lost them. Ernest Jones refunded the rings and offered her some compensation but for such a delicate matter Jocelyn feels it's been handled badly.

"Ernest Jones [have] seen it as the brutal fact of the matter is this [is] the value of your ring. The level of compensation that I've got was pretty shabby considering what they've lost. It's not just a ring, it's our wedding and engagement ring, it's special to us," she says.

Ernest Jones company response:

Robert Anderson, Chief Executive, Ernest Jones:

I start by saying we take customer service very seriously and place a high priority on the quality of our merchandise. I am therefore sorry that we failed to meet not only the expectations of our customers but also our own expectations in the instances referred to in your emails.

As acknowledgement of that we have as you know already refunded the full purchase price where we feel it appropriate to do so, and had done so before receipt of your emails. We will also be in contact with the customers in question in order to make goodwill gestures to try and compensate for any hurt and frustration caused not only by our inability to deal with their problem adequately but also any lack of speed in doing so.
Like any company we are continually looking to improve all areas of our business. This, as you would expect, includes customer services both at the point of sale and afterwards and therefore we welcome customer feedback.

As a result we have reviewed our processes and procedures as well as the level of direct supervision for resolving similar situations. A major project relating to improving customer communication procedures has been commenced which seeks to ensure that similar issues are dealt with, with sufficient haste and in a suitable and adequate manner.

Watchdog Viewer Responses:

I recently ordered a platinum and diamond wedding ring having previously bought my engagement ring from them. They lost the ring and the manager of the store at the time was disgusting! His manner appalling and rude. I complained to head office in return they offered 20% discount as I already receive 10% having bought my engagement ring I am not impressed.

To date they cannot find the ring I ordered and were unable to replace it as it was no longer an item stocked!

Devastated!

Catherine

Absolutely same problem with ourselves 18month ago with my engagement ring. Looked at ring whilst driving oval diamond missing. Sent back to ernest jones who stated the clasp had been damaged (which it had not)! Offered to replace the diamond at double the cost of the actual ring, to replace the whole ring would have been cheaper but at this point we did not trust them and also we had the sentimental value of the ring to consider. Had the diamond replaced with a more repuatable jewellers.

Jenny Leigh

I can't believe seeing your programme tonight that so many people have had problems with rings from Ernest Jones! I thought it was just me!!
Last year my husband bought me an eternity ring from there, it did feel like it needed resizing so when I looked at the band I saw it was very very slim at the back, as if it had already been resized!! ( and not by my husband!!) we took it back to the shop who insisted that was the 'design' and all their rings are like that!! ( I had to believe this and although not happy resided myself to the 'design' idea) Less than a month later, after washing up, one if the diamonds fell out!!! We had no choice but to return it to the store who said "because it was over 28 days we couldn't return it"!!! My husband had a few words and finally they refunded us! Would never buy from Ernest Jones again!!!!

Popi, Northamptonshire.

Diamonds are forever?

Avewardy

Jul 30, 2013
Hi there,

I am having an awful time dealing with Ernest jones in Glasgow. I put my wedding ring and engagement ring into be cleaned on the 6th June. My husband went to collect them after one week only to be told that there was a problem with my engagement ring and it would be £420 to be fixed. The rings had both been in perfect condition so I complained and ernest jones said they would pay for the repair,which I was happy with. The ring did not come back until the 13 junky and I went to pick it up. I was so upset that there had been a piece of white gold bar put straight through the 4 main diamonds on my ring. I said I was not happy with the repair. I had to wait until the next day for the manager to call and I explained to him how upset I was. I said that I would like a new ring but also my original ring back. I feel this is reasonable as I trusted Ernest jones to clean and take care of my ring. The manager agreed only to call back 10 minutes later to say he was not allowed. I have since sent a letter to them outlining my experience. I received a reply today stating that they would give me a replacement but that I would have to pay £250 if imwant my original ring back!! I feel totally disgusted at the service I have experienced. I also feel it is completely unreasonable for me to be expected to pay for damage which was clearly not evident when I handed my rings over to be cleaned and the assistant spent 25 minutes inspecting them. I would like some advice please as I am now approaching 2 months with no resolution and the only outcome being in order to retain my engagement ring that i have to pay money for something that has been damaged by their repair agent. Help .!

Mad

Jul 7, 2013
Sorry to hear that, I have just had some success with the Small Claim Court

You have to give them 14 days to respond to your complaint in writing before you can start the claim, then they have 14 days to respond.

Good luck...

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This is tricky. The question is what is reasonable from the perspective of a third party i.e. the judge. If this weren't a wedding ring with sentimental value then a replacement would be reasonable and it would be unreasonable to expect the original one back. If I were to be the devil's advocate it could be argued that the repair with the bar is a reasonable remedy too, that gets into a really subjective area of taste, and it could also be argued that this is no different to getting a new ring and your old one back. The Small Claims Court will cost £25 but I am not 100% how the judgement would go.

Mac30

Sep 18, 2013
Hi there

My husband and I are in the middle of a battle with Earnest Jones at the moment having very recently discovered after 3 years and half years that my engagement ring which cost £1500 is not the one we paid for. The ring my husband bought from the Reading store is platinum and the ring they gave him is white gold! The only reason we discovered this is because my wedding ring is platinum and my engagement ring has tarnished and looks a different colour now. My husband called customer services about a month ago who said they had never heard of this happening and said they would investigate. My husband is
gutted and demanded the ring is replaced with the correct one and a full refund. To cut a long story short after a month of numerous phone calls mainly my husband chasing them because the woman dealing with our complaint was 'not at her desk' or 'had gone home for the day' and wouldn't return his calls blatantly avoiding him Earnest Jones have accepted liability and have offered to replace with the correct ring and they've offered us £400 in compensation. If they had offered this within a week of our complaint then we would have accepted this, but because their customer service has been so disgusting and we feel like they even don't care about the damage that's been done over this we feel we need to pursue the full refund of £1500 that we requested as well as the replacement ring. So far management have not got involved with our complaint which only leads me to believe further that they are not taking this as seriously as the should be.
We have in writing their offer, any advise as to where to go next would be appreciated.

Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The law doesn't entitle you to a new ring and a full refund so there is not really anywhere to take this. I appre iate how upsetting this has been but I think you have a good offer and should consider accepting it.

Steveide

May 2, 2015
Ernest Jones Silverburn shopping centre Glasgow
My wifes 33yo platinum with diamond engagement ring needed a new stone and claws so we paid £673.00 for the repair.
A week after the 1 year guarantee, a claw broke off and they offered to repair it free of charge....However. When we got the ring back (and after the first repair), the ring appeared thinner and narrower than it had originally, also the lines where we had the ring reduced in size 33 years ago had now become clearly visible when before they were undetectable. You can see what appears to be "grinding" marks down the sides of the ring using a magnifying glass.

My wife ...upset returned to Ernest Jones 1/2 hr after picking up the ring and mentioned it to the manager who rediculously suggested the marks were from the clamp!!! which has to be the most stupid explaination ever,which customer would be happy with deep lines through their ring that were not present before?

My question is:
Is it possible that the repair company (whoever they are) are skimming prescious metals from peoples jewellery for themselves? Clearly its possible and it is not the first time we have had jewellery repaired and noticed a difference in thickness in the ring.

Last edited: