Boiler Installer Nightmare

trac34

Sep 17, 2016
Hello,
Any advice on which way to go would be really helpful – apologies in advance for long posting.
I had a new combi boiler installed last August 2016. I have already poste about this on the forum.
I paid the installer on the day and he said he would need to come back to complete some pipe work.
Little did I know that we he said he would come back to complete the work (which was months later) he said he would need more money. I said no as the job was supposed to be completed on the day and the pipe work was part of the whole job.
Anyway, after much badgering he came out months later and did the pipe work. I did not incur any extra cost. This was a stressful enough experience and left us with exposed pipe-work in our kitchen for months and w ealso hada leak but what came after was even more stressful.
Towards the end of 2016 I contacted Gas Safe to see if the boiler was registered. IT WAS NOT, I explained what had happened and how the work was completed in two bits (as above). They came out to check the boiler and what followed was even worse.
Not only was the boiler was uncommissioned (it had not even been registered in August and we had been living with and using an uncommissioned boiler unbeknownst to us!) but it DID NOT MEET REGULATIONS across a number of areas – boiler height access, flu, pipes. It was a nightmare to find this out in late November.
Gas Safe instructed that the work was to be rectified within a 3 week period but as this was a few weeks before Christmas we just couldn’t fit it in and the weather was not good for roofing work/access. Looking back we should have ensured that the work was carried out then.
So we agreed with the installer and GAS SAFE that the work would be completed early 2017.
Early 2017 came and we contacted the installer a number of times to ask to come an remedy the work. He failed to reply to our communication so we got Gas Safe involved who put pressure on the trader and said they would have to place sanctions on the installer if he fails to complete the work.
So we managed to book a mutually convenient date for the installer to come out in March to rectify the situation – bearing in mind we were using an uncommisisoned boiler over winter.
The night before the installer was due to come out to rectify the work, he emailed to said he could no longer make it as he had to do another job! We were shocked by this – it had been mutually agreed and our job was priority due to the imminent possibility of sanctions being placed on the installer. We also booked time off work to accommodate this.
The installer was given a second chance to do the job so we booked it once again and he came out this week.
He completed the work to meet access regulations but the horror when we saw the flue from the roof we were in complete shock.
We have never seen such an eye sore and because our roof it pitched it stands out and looks like a rocket. Also there looks to have been some impact on the roof riles next to and around the flue area. The property i live in is leasehold and there is no way this would be passed through the freehold as it is totally unsightly.
The entire process has been hugely stressful –and bearing in mind the boiler was put in August 2016 and it is now May 2017.
I really don’t know what to do – I feel we have been really inconvenienced and we have been living with an uncommissioned boiler and now we have a flu that looks like a rocket coming out of the roof. Someone suggested seeking compensation due to the impact it has had on my living standards (we were unable to do a kitchen upgrade and bathroom upgrade as the boiler was uncommissoned and awaiting rectifying) . However, my main concern now is the flu and the potential damage to roof and also having to rectify this if the freehold doesn’t agree to it – i doubt they will as it looks so bad and is an eye sore.
If anyone could advise me on any possible routes. Thank you!