Boiler upgrade and additional charge

trac34

Sep 17, 2016
Where do I stand?....
Almost 6 weeks ago I got a new combi boiler upgraded from an old gravity fed system.
The installer quoted me a price of **** for the job. Said he would prefer to do the whole job in 1 day. He came out and worked through completing most of the job but did not complete the pipework running up from my kitchen to the loft. Said he would come back and complete it. So I said fine and I said I would pay him the total in cash anyway. That I did. So he left and said he would come back to complete the work.
Now, within 2 weeks of this we had a pipe leak in our bathroom due to what we believe was the pressure from the new boiler. So it got so bad I had to call out a plumber to have it repaired as the water was seeping through the floor boards and has since left water marks on the ceiling.
Then our shower box started to leak and is still leaking.
He has now replied and his response is, of course, yes he can complete the pipe work but he will have to charge me *** plus VAT. I feel really ripped off as he quoted for the entire job and cunningly said he would come back and yet has created a second job for himself.
I agreed that he could come back and complete it but silly me paying him for the job before it was completed fully.
He said HE HAS TO CHARGE ME for labour, waste disposal and work on the pipes to run them up the wall which was surely part of the original job. You dont just plonk a boiler in with blue tack and string it all together with wool.
Ive already paid for another plumber to repair the leaking pipe. I still have a leaking shower box and now I am being charged an extra amount for him to complete his work when he should have completed it 6 weeks ago.
Any advice, thank you

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Sorry to hear about your plumbing problem. Did you get any of this in writing? If not, it will be your word against his. It is possible to go down the small claims route, see the link below, and let a judge decide. It's quite straightforward and quick, but you need to try to resolve it as best you can first.

trac34

Sep 17, 2016
Thank you Tony,
this is really helpful - can I raise a complaint with Trading Standard?
I have the written quote. He is asking for extra payment to complete the work which I think is unreasonable.
Also, my boiler is not registered with gas safe and yet has gas running through - they said I could raise a complaint with them.
Also, I have mot official signing off documents and he has not produced a receipt/invoice - I paid him and that was almost 6 weeks ago if not more/
New installation have a 30 days period in which they are advised to be registered.
I am looking at my options and assessing what is the best approach to this horrible situation.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi,

Yes Trading Standards will be able to help. It sounds like you have a reasonable case. However, they are often over-stretched and prioritise vulnerable customers. Let us know how you get on

Best wishes,

Tony