Bought car 3 weeks ago & gearbox gone!

Roz2409

Dec 2, 2012
Hi all, i would like some advice before I go into battle!
I bought a renault megane convertible (1.6) 3 weeks ago. I got finance & paid £5200 for it. I noticed after a week the revs were quite high & went to see auto repair guy who said it seemed ok these cars were notorious for it. I also noticed the 6 cd changer doesn't work either....
Tonight I got in the car & it said on dash check gearbox & it's all I over the place! Manual says go to dealer straight away!
I took out my own warranty so on my receipt it says customer has own warranty although when advertised it said the car came with 6 months warranty.
Should I go to my warranty cover (2 weeks old & its so wordy i betcha life they say its not covered!! its with Warrantywise) or go straight back to trader?? I have a little knowledge of SOGA but am worried I will be been dumped with a huge bill! I haven't even paid my first loan instalment!
Please help!!!
Roz

Roz2409

Dec 2, 2012
It's on an 07 plate with 34000 miles on clock - it originally was a mobility car if that helps?
Thank you!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Take it back to the dealer. Though the finance company own the car, it is their issue to resolve, I'm not sure if you need to contact finance company first - Witch please chirp in.
Regardless, under SOGA, any trader selling a secondhand car, it must be of Satisfactory Quality and match any descriptions provided. Clearly it's not of satisfactory quality.
Witch will let you know whether finance needs to be told first or whether you can take it back off your own back.

Adam

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Take it back to the dealer first, as A says, it must be of satisfactory quality and it obviously isn't, they should carry out the repair FOC on a car you've had only a few weeks.

Fortunately you have 2 other options to fall back on, the dealer may insist you get your warranty company involved but let them argue amongst themselves who pays the bill.

Without a working gearbox your car is not going anywhere so they are legally obliged to do the repair at no cost to you.

Your third port of call, should you struggle would be the finance company who will go back to the dealer anyway.

Then of course, there is always the small claims court but I doubt you'll need that option.

Although you have fewer rights with a second hand car, it must be legal and travel down a road under it's own power!