Builder Dispute Help!!!

Dfranks

Jun 30, 2020
Hi All,
I wonder if anyone can offer some advice or help, we have been having a large project on our house, quotation agrees last year and work began in Feb this year! There have been a few issues and each time we were told it would cost money to fix, each time we asked how much and got told it was difficult to answer. We received a very rough extremely high additional cost (65%increase form original quote). We asked for a more granular breakdown which took 9 weeks to provide, and we still believe the charges are extortionate and in all honesty the charges are down to the builders negligence and so we had to issue a letter of dispute yesterday! The letter as per CAB (Citizens Advice) has to give him 7 days to reply, well today he went to the house and removed lots of timber and took out all the insulation which has been put on the floor and in the stud walls!!
Has any got any advice or experienced anything similar, I don’t have a finished house or anywhere near finished and am at my wits end with it all, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long post.....believe it or not this is the short version. Thanks

PatriciaMarchand

Jul 10, 2020
Yes I have suffered from bad builders syndromes since last year when I decided to do a total refurbishment of my home. You name it I had it. Most of them via trustatrader.com, checkatrade and the like. Recently a landscaper called RichardMoore Landscapes, I found on a builders of 'vetted' builders. They override the damp level of my one brick thick extension and now I am getting water in as the level of the extension floor is much lower than the outside. I then did a company check which returned nothing for that company or director names, found out also they have no insurance, but they are still advertised on trustatrader.com who refuse my complaint despite surveyors reports. Yes I tried citizen advice bureau and was referred to trading standards, but to what purposes? I would have to take the guy to court costing more than 10000 pounds. Terrible no place to complain, no sense of responsibilities, nothing so I now need to bite the dust and get another company to remove what was done, repair and retile... more money....

davidharvey

Jul 27, 2021
Hi. I have a question about the renovation. The exterior of my house doesn't look very good. How much will the facade work cost? And how long do they usually last?

JosephMontgomery

Aug 1, 2021
You will be surprised to know how many people will not be able to point to the facades and ceilings of a building, even if they are an integral part of the roof. Fascia and soffits are used to cover the ends of the roof beams that protrude from the wall from under the roof. This is why you should replacement fascia because the old fascia makes your home less attractive. I turned to them for help, because my close friend advised them.

Last edited:

Blogthebuilder

Nov 6, 2021
Yes I have suffered from bad builders syndromes since last year when I decided to do a total refurbishment of my home. You name it I had it. Most of them via trustatrader.com, checkatrade and the like. Recently a landscaper called RichardMoore Landscapes, I found on a builders of 'vetted' builders. They override the damp level of my one brick thick extension and now I am getting water in as the level of the extension floor is much lower than the outside. I then did a company check which returned nothing for that company or director names, found out also they have no insurance, but they are still advertised on trustatrader.com who refuse my complaint despite surveyors reports. Yes I tried citizen advice bureau and was referred to trading standards, but to what purposes? I would have to take the guy to court costing more than 10000 pounds. Terrible no place to complain, no sense of responsibilities, nothing so I now need to bite the dust and get another company to remove what was done, repair and retile... more money....
Hello, Patricia, I'm sorry to hear about your nightmare, and you shall not be the first or last no doubt. It's so easy to get caught up in going to organizations with Trust.. in their name, and the others out there, and assume all will be well. If I was a Cowboy builder I would get registered on the so-called trusted sites and go from there, to be honest. This is why it is so important to get someone to help you prior to making any decisions in moving forward and be educated in what to do and not do. Education is only powerful when you know what to do with it. Yes, you can google for advice and guidance, but it is so important in my opinion to get answers clear in your own mind, by speaking to someone over the phone, or ideally in person. You can tell a lot from someone's voice and eye contact. At the end of the day, you need to do your due diligence in knowing who you are dealing with before asking anyone else to sort out your problem.

Maddison

Nov 20, 2021
I've always dreamed of a beautiful wooden staircase that could be used to climb into the loft. Finally, the company helped me realize my dream https://www.roofingassociation.co.uk/ . As far as I know, they specialize in wood, so using this material was a natural choice. The end result is a fairy tale. And what style prevails in your homes?