Buying a new property - surveys

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
As I have mentioned to the point of tediousness on these forums, I've just sold my flat and am looking for a new one. I'm interested in how other people have gone about this. I'm very cautious and want to know everything about a property before I'll make an offer, but the woman who bought my flat only came round once, for a visit lasting about 15 minutes.

This weekend I'm re-viewing a flat that I'm interested in, and today I asked the estate agent to let the owner know that I'd want to take a close look at the fusebox - it's in a cupboard and he might need to clear some stuff away, so thought I should give him some warning. She thought this was very odd and said it was the surveyor's job to look at the electrics.

But I think that a) surveyors don't look at anything in much depth, and b) if the electrics are clearly shonky then I'm not going to go to the expense of getting a surveyor, I'll just walk away.

Am I excessively pernickety? How did you buy your flat?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I know someone who recently sold their house and the buyers basically got a very detailed survey for free. They got a number of different trades to look at the house and assess different aspects including the electrics.

You are right a surveyor will not cover electrics in any detail. They will just say something useful like the house is provided with mains electricity.

Tony