Can I now cash in my AVC

BML

Feb 10, 2012
I am close to 80 years of age and took out an AVC 20 years ago or more that was a waste of time because I was made redundant at the age of 57 and the rules then meant that I could neither continue to put money into it, draw the money I had put into it out or do anything else with it. The bunch of crooks the AVC is with have milked it with their charges and commission so it has not even kept pace with inflation.
Am I correct in believing that the budget has introduced the right to take that money out of the AVC?

gracetaylor

Jun 10, 2013
Hi BML, I'm sorry to hear about that. I believe that under the new budget if you're over 55 you'll be able to draw down money from your AVC post April 2015. Handy article in the Guardian about the ins and outs of the budget and it's effects on pensions: Pension shakeup in budget leaves £14bn annuities industry reeling | Money | The Guardian
Have you also considered contacting a claims management company to see if they can get any money back for you from the organisation who sold you your AVC? Try these guys: Have I Been Mis sold an FSAVC? | EMCAS If you've paid any charges that you weren't told about, you might be able to claim them back.