Canon Camera from WEX Photographic - owed refund is not forthcoming! Advice needed :)

xferrarix

Sep 27, 2012
Will try and keep this as short as possible, but could really use some advice - I have been persistent but no one is listening, and I strongly suspect that WEX Photographic are violating the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Here goes :)

-September 2011: Buy £400 Canon Camera from WEX Photographic

-October 2011: Camera Breaks (for no reason - used rarely up until then) - simply won't take pictures (a sturdy DSLR with a 5 year warranty)

-Since I am in Switzerland on a ski season, Canon says it will cost lots of money to send the camera back to me so I decide to wait until I get back to England in April. I also email WEX.

-May: Camera sent off to Canon for repair, it is returned to me saying there was 'no fault', but the camera is still broken

-June: I email WEX and they say they will pick up the camera, and look at a replacement or refund if the Camera is like new (which it is)

Aug: Camera picked up. Two weeks later I have heard nothing so contact WEX, who say my camera is ready to be returned to me (after having something replaced). I say I am entitled to a refund/replacement so want either of those.

They say - this is the best bit - that because they had asked me to return the camera in its original packaging, which I apparently had not done, they were sending it back, and I am not entitled to a refund. Turns out the courier had put a return address sticker on the packaging, which WEX said I was responsible for as I should have put it another box! And now the tone of the email correspondence has become quite defensive (I am dealing with some sort of manager apparently).

So: Camera breaks within 2 months of purchase, even though barely used, hence manufacturing error. Wex refusing refund, citing the packaging as the reason, aswell as saying I didn't contact them soon enough so can't prove the breakage happened that early (I contacted Canon promptly and can prove this).

Surely not replacing/refunding it violates the Sale of Goods Act? My camera was clearly never fit for purpose. Surely packaging should only matter when choosing to take back a healthy item within 2 weeks of purchase?

Any advice would be really appreciated, I want to be free of WEX forever but have hit a wall with their fairly incompetent customer service.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Re: Canon Camera from WEX Photographic - owed refund is not forthcoming! Advice neede

Hello,
Yes, this is a clear breach of the SOGA 179 (as amended) for items not being of 'satisfactory quality' nor 'lasting a reasonable length of time'.
Original packaging has no bearing upon the items return for refund/replace or repair, therefore they cannot enforce this.
Just wondering though, why did it take from June to August to collect the item?
And you shouldn't have allowed yourself to be fobbed off to canon, it is the suppliers responsibility, not the manufacturer.
Furthermore, if they booked and paid for the courier, it is the suppliers problem. Not yours.

Contact by letter, send by a recorded means, keep photocopies of the letters. And give a time limit for response (10 days is plenty).
Threaten legal action for failure to sort the problem out.

xferrarix

Sep 27, 2012
Re: Canon Camera from WEX Photographic - owed refund is not forthcoming! Advice neede

Hi!
Thanks very much for replying, this is very useful.
I was away in July (my boyfriend tried to arrange collection but customer services said I had to sign a returns form...)
I guess my next step is to threaten legal action. Thanks!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales

Hi!
Thanks very much for replying, this is very useful.
I was away in July (my boyfriend tried to arrange collection but customer services said I had to sign a returns form...)
I guess my next step is to threaten legal action. Thanks!
Can I ask though, do you have 'shutter jam' ? Where it literally will not take the photo?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm into photography myself, and I saw a few weeks back that using reverse engineered lenses (those not made by canon) could have caused this. And is irreversible. What lens were you using? And which camera is it?