Car Insurance Claim Advice

sugarlightly

Jan 31, 2015
Just a bit of background before I get into my question:

September last year, I had a near miss accident with another car. The other party claimed there was damage. I gave insurance details, took pictures, my passenger and I made diagrams and statements about crash, in the event that she would claim through the insurance company. Just to make it clear, I did not hit the other parties car.

When the other party did make a claim, we submitted all the information we had, and an independent assessor came to look at our car and noted there was no damage. The case took a while to proceed, as the other party apparently refused to answer their phone or allow the independent assessor to look at their car for a few months. When the independent assessor finally went to look at the other parties car, they changed a major part of their narrative of the crash, so the case was closed just before Xmas.

We called the insurance company, and our case assessor told us the case was closed. My partner requested they send us written confirmation of this either through email or post, as we were slightly worried that a case like this would increase any future costs. We did not receive this. When my partner rang back yesterday, they said that, because the other party had made a complaint about the assessor, they could not close the case.

Here is my problem; I fail to see, essentially, what this has to do with us.The other party did not make an appeal, just a complaint. Surely a complaint about a service is between the customer complaining and the insurance company? The case really has caused a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety; the only phone call we have ever received from the insurance company was the one telling us that the other party had made a claim. We rang them about once a month to check up on it's progress and every time we did so, something important in the case had changed.

This is the first time I have ever been insured on a car, and the first claim that I have ever had to deal with.

These are my questions;

Is this normal?
Is this worthy of making a complaint to the company?
How can I get the insurance company to send me confirmation that my case has been closed?
Should our insurance company tell us if a case is reopened?
Should insurance companies ring their customers if major changes happen during a claim?

nickmarsh

Jan 16, 2014
The insurance company might increase your future premiums based simply on the fact that a claim has been made against you. Do not believe anyone who tells you that they cannot do so.
If the alleged accident was in September 2014 then that does not seem such a long time ago, particularly if there were delays by the other driver.
You need to be clear what it is that you are complaining about.
I think that what you really want is confirmation that your cover will not be affected by whatever is going on and that you are not happy with the lack of communication.
Phone again and tell them that you want to complain.Try to speak to an actual complaints manager. If you have difficulty making contact then write to them.

phyllismbaker

Nov 20, 2018
Having car insurance is essential because it covers all your expenses related to the vehicle damages or injuries to the drivers and people related to it. Some insurance policies also include a claim to natural calamities, thefts, riots, burglary and more. Further, automobile accidents can become incredibly expensive and can put a hole in your pocket, especially if you are related to the fault.
This is not normal at all. If you have not get the claim from insurance company you can take action. Driving an uninsured car can give rise to many unwanted problems. For instance, if an accident happens without insurance, it can put a hole in your pocket. Beyond just accidents, car insurance will cover more than just damages and losses. It will also include man-made disasters like riots, thefts and other damages that hamper your vehicle. if you want the answers of your question then go here.

Last edited: