Car Insurance claim - Not my fault

vikash23

Jul 29, 2016
HI,

The issue happened last week. It was around 10pm. I was about to sleep. I heard a loud noise and saw from my window. I was at first floor. My neighbours had some fight and the husband breaks his wife's car glass. Then he took his own car and crashed his wife's car. I was the witness of this and the whole street saw this man crashing his wife's car. I was shouting from my window not to do so as my car was parked behind his wife's car. he didnt think about it and he crashed his wife's car.

As a result his wife's car crashed on my bumper and got damaged. The guy escaped and ran away. I informed the police and they came and gave me the reference no and the registration number of the guy's car. They said to contact the insurance and I can claim and i wont need to pay them since it was not my fault and it will not affect my no claim.

I rang up the insurance (Hastings) and detailed the problem. They asked for the person's name and I didn't know his name and forgot to get his name from the police officers as I was very nervous about the situation. The guy working for the insurance company said that I need to contact Albany assistance as they will repair my car.

When I rang up Albany assistance they said I need to pay £495 excess charge. I called to the insurance agent and they said I need to pay the excess amount only then they will proceed with the formalities of contacting the person who is liable for damaging my car. They are saying that I have signed the terms and conditions and they said some page number to see. They say that even though other person is liable for the damage that I need to pay the excess amount and they will proceed then. I asked what if the liable person does not accept his mistake ? and they say that they cant's do anything and I will be loosing my no claim bonus.

I have got the video evidence after the crash has happened and the police report about the incident.

Can any one let me know is it true even though the other person crashed with my car I need to pay the excess amount even though it's not my fault. ?

This is totally ridiculous.