currys netbook warranty

hotdog

Jul 11, 2012
Hi all!
Bought the son an acer netbook for xmas fro currys online. 6 months down the line, the machine starts shutting down from the homepage, also noticed a bit smoke.
Took it up to the local store, and the chap arranges for it to be sent off for repair/replaced.
24 days later, chap from the store phones me to explain that the faults (power cable/circuit board) aren't covered under the warranty! He said to fix it would cost more than the machine is worth, and the netbook is ready to collect from the store broke!
Now I could understand if it had been dropped, water damaged or misused etc, but the simply hasnt been tha case.
Could any one give me some info on where I stand with this one, as Im going to the store tommorow to hopefully have a word with the manager.
Any thoughts as what to say etc most welcome.

Thanks and regards,
Hotdog.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Oh dear, don't you just love Currys :rolleyes:

You may have to speak very slowly and carefully, where possible using words of 1 syllable so they can fully understand what you are saying:

The warranty is IN ADDITION to your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act, this act says the item you buy must be as described, of satisafctory quality and fit for purpose, if it isn't you are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair at no cost to yourself.

To get a refund, you need to prove the fault existed when you bought the netbook, you probably can't do that but you can insist they repair it, and if that is not economically viable (or cheap in Currys language) they can replace it.

They have several options, giving it you back broken isn't one of them.

Good luck :D