Deal revoked by dealership

Mini21

Mar 2, 2014
Hi,

I need some advice. This week I have been emailing a car salesman and in his email received on 27/2 the salesman advised me he was going to sit with his Business Manager to work out figures.

On 1/3/14 I had an email asking me to contact them as they had a great offer for me. I called and was given a deal. I advised I would call him back.

After half an hour I call them back, I did a deal with a dealership yesterday over the phone for a car. At this point I had confirmed the deal four times in two telephone calls to the salesman.

I paid a £500 deposit to secure the deal and advised I would attend the showroom today to to view and drive the car and arrange when to collect the car ect. The salesman agreed and advised my deposit payment had gone through.

An hour and a half later I had a call from the salesman to say he had "cocked up" on the deal and they could not actually do it. He advised they could offer something else and could his Manager call me back in 5 minutes.

The Manager called and he advised that the salesman was new - been there 6 months, and had made a mistake. They offered me a new deal, but this was a lot more money and over a longer finance term, which I advised I did not want, I also advise that I had paid a deposit on the terms agreed? He then advised they would be revoking on the deal and refund my deposit.

Where do I stand, is a deposit legally binding/gentleman agreement? I know if I had pulled out of the deal I would have lost my deposit!!

Many thanks for any advise

:mad::confused::(

iluvali

Feb 22, 2014
Hi,

I need some advice. This week I have been emailing a car salesman and in his email received on 27/2 the salesman advised me he was going to sit with his Business Manager to work out figures.

On 1/3/14 I had an email asking me to contact them as they had a great offer for me. I called and was given a deal. I advised I would call him back.

After half an hour I call them back, I did a deal with a dealership yesterday over the phone for a car. At this point I had confirmed the deal four times in two telephone calls to the salesman.

I paid a £500 deposit to secure the deal and advised I would attend the showroom today to to view and drive the car and arrange when to collect the car ect. The salesman agreed and advised my deposit payment had gone through.

An hour and a half later I had a call from the salesman to say he had "cocked up" on the deal and they could not actually do it. He advised they could offer something else and could his Manager call me back in 5 minutes.

The Manager called and he advised that the salesman was new - been there 6 months, and had made a mistake. They offered me a new deal, but this was a lot more money and over a longer finance term, which I advised I did not want, I also advise that I had paid a deposit on the terms agreed? He then advised they would be revoking on the deal and refund my deposit.

Where do I stand, is a deposit legally binding/gentleman agreement? I know if I had pulled out of the deal I would have lost my deposit!!

Many thanks for any advise

:mad::confused::(
I think you can only accept the refund of your deposit as there is no written agreement signed by both parties and there is no evidence if agreed by phone.
Probably wise in future to go to the garage,view and drive the vehicle before paying any money out.