DFS Sofa does not fit after being told by them it would

wisdom-17

Dec 4, 2020
Hi all,

I ordered a sofa from DFS in September. Before ordering, I phoned DFS to check if it will fit through my house into the living room. After taking various measurements from me, the chap said it will be difficult but will go through. He also said that they will remove the packaging in order to make it easier to fit through. The website also states the armrests are removable. I asked if it doesn't fit will I get a refund and his reply was yes.

Fast forward to today, the delivery team brought the sofa into the house and lined it up against the living room doorway and informed me that it will not fit through. I suggested what I was told on the phone by DFS, remove packaging and armrests however the delivery guy was adamant that it will not fit. So I told them to take it back.

I called DFS and they said someone will get back to me in 48 hours.

I'd like to know if anyone has been in the same situation (i.e. been advised that sofa will fit but didn't) and how it was dealt with by DFS?

Appreciate any replies.

wisdom-17

Dec 4, 2020
Hi all,

Just an update to my situation. After a few days DFS got back to me and gave me the option to purchase another sofa or get a full refund (sofa + delivery). I chose a refund which I received within a week. Didn't need to kick up a fuss, they stuck to their word.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for the update and it is great to hear that DFS did the right thing - well done.

Glenbudde

Apr 20, 2021
How funny to read about this now. When I finally got a chair into the house that we thought was impossible! I called the manufacturer, and they were so helpful. Finally found someone able to find the correct angle for this heavy chair! I heard tales about people cutting their legs off and taking out large windows to use as portals, but I was not going to do this. It is so frustrating. They wished you the best outcome. Oh, and I also bought a piece of office furniture years ago that would not make the turn in the upstairs hallway. I returned this piece to the retailer because nothing could do anything.

Last edited:

zasdera

Feb 14, 2022
I wonder if this was the official policy of the company or did you just get an adequate contractor?

jukilas

Feb 14, 2022
You are lucky that the manufacturer kept his word without scandals. Once I ordered a sofa for the kitchen. I don’t remember the name of the company, although it probably should have been done. The consultant and I chose the fabric and the shade I needed for a long time, discussed all the details ... So that in a week I would receive a sofa that only remotely resembles my original order. The movers even managed to damage it during installation. Of course, I expressed my dissatisfaction to them, but they referred to their incompetence in the matter. I can understand it, their work concerns only delivery. But I had to make a huge scandal to get the company to return my money and take this squalor out of my kitchen. The negative impressions of a failed kitchen remodel were smoothed over by gardenfurniture.co.uk who made me a great piece of garden furniture. But I'm still looking for the perfect sofa for my kitchen...